What's new
What's new

z jog

Stewdog

Plastic
I have a late 80s vmc and I fired it up for the first time today. I am trying to get the wooden block out from under the spindle from transport but it will not jog the z axis. The X and Y move fine, also the machine lock and z lock toggles are turned off.

Always helps to list make and model of machine and controller when asking these type questions.

Not familiar with that model, but any chance you can remove a cover and get to the ball screw and turn it by hand?

Does that model have a counterweight in the back of the machine? Sometimes that is locked in place for transport.

It is not uncommon for a toolchanger to drift slightly out of home position when a machine is moved or even shut off for long periods. Most builders include a Z interlock in their logic so the Z cannot move if the toolchanger is not home. Worth checking.

There is no counterweight and I can see the ball screw but there is no way to turn it, the spindle carriage is extremely heavy. The tool changer looks to be in home position. There is a tool changer function selector on the side of the machine but they do not do anything when pushed, maybe due to the z axis being too low?
The z axis motor does not even attempt to move so it must be limiting itself somewhere in the code. I am very new to CNC so I donot know yet how to check my logic.

These actuators I assume operate the ATC. One of them says mag on it "magazine?" the next one down has a red led lit up with "up" written next to it and "down" written next to the left led. They are daikin actuators and I don't know if the LED means its operating or if its in error state.

thumbnail (1).jpg

I think I'm on the right track now, I checked my atc for home position like said earlier and it is not, as shown by the chrome on the cylinder and the sensor. So that is likely the culprit putting a Z interlock on my machine. The LED showing on that actuator is calling for fluid to push the tool changer back up but why isn't it getting fluid? the pressure gauge on my hydraulic pump reads zero when running so I changed the gauge and still nothing. the hydraulic system was drained for transport so maybe it needs priming? It is a Diakin piston pump and I can feel it pumping while it runs, Just no output. Fluid level is adequate.

Attachments

• thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 18
Changed two wires on the pump motor and everything is working great. Thanks everyone for the input

Hopefully you did not run very long with it backwards. That type pump relies on the oil it is pumping to lube the swash plate. Running backwards creates lots of premature wear. A used pump retains some oil internally which will keep it ok for a short time going backwards. I have seen warnings on new pumps saying that more than 30 seconds can cause damage. Probably due them being essentially dry inside. Also some Vickers brand instruct the user to remove a plug and fill the swash cavity before starting

It did not run long, its putting out factory pressure so hopefully it did itself no harm. Although upon restart, the atc arm will not pull itself up to home. The mag wheel locks and the atc arm puts itself to zero degrees but no attempt is made to go up. When I first fixed the pump, every solenoid had an LED lit up but now its just one. Do they work in sequence as in will it not give the next solenoid a job until the previous one is satisfied by a limit switch?

Back