What's new
What's new

1964 TOS FN25 restoration project

Jensorie

Plastic
Hello guys,

My name is Jens, 21 years old and living in The Netherlands. In December 2015 i've bought an TOS FN25 milling machine ''with some work''.

The plan is to restore and repair the machine completely, with a brand new machine in top condition as a end result. A Missiseipi.com or Ruemema.de restoration is far above my current capabilities, but i hope to have in the end a good working solid machine.

This machine is bought by a formal farmer, and has been standing still for a few years now. Everything is still complete, but the bearing holder of the X- axis trapezodial thread has been broken apart, and has to be made.

Some pictures of the machine, and during the project:
IMG_1302 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

IMG_1311 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

DSC_8262 by Jens Orie, on Flickr
Moving the machine into his new shed :)

DSC_8272 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

IMG_1976 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

IMG_1375 by Jens Orie, on Flickr
During the project i had to make several tools to remove some parts. With this tool i can rotate the trapezodial axis of the X-axis. To reduce torsion (over 1000mm) and prevent for damages, this tool can be shoven over the axis and be locked using the keyway.

FullSizeRender by Jens Orie, on Flickr

IMG_1460 by Jens Orie, on Flickr
Using a heavy tripod i could lift the machine, and place it on two steel beams, so it can be movable.

IMG_1572 by Jens Orie, on Flickr
Removing the electric motor.

IMG_1475 by Jens Orie, on Flickr
Some parts needs to be replaced. (the end of the X axis trapezodial.)

IMG_1498 by Jens Orie, on Flickr
As new :)

IMG_1642 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

IMG_2073 by Jens Orie, on Flickr
Sanding sanding sanding...:nutter:

IMG_2294 by Jens Orie, on Flickr
Tomorrow i will paint the primer on most of the parts. The chosen color will be RAL6011.

If there are more people with a TOS milling machine (FN 20,22,25 etc) Let me know! It is always nice to see the same machines from other users.

More information can be found on my website (Dutch) www.Jensorie.nl or the Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142308600@N03/albums/72157667669183675/with/26655130696/

And a German manual of these machines, can be downloaded for free over here:
1: https://mega.nz/#!iM9y1SgI!c7ZToSTsdagf9JaqfbEYwx3KEoEzCf3n3VjyW01XOWM
2: https://mega.nz/#!3UVCiJBI!09WfFFxMa_YJ2FEBnp3inF37Q2hbj3uBYR4zaSMbO_c

Regards,

Jens

Welcome to the forum, it looks like a good project and I will enjoy hearing about your progress. That mill looks like a copy of an early FP2 and should be a nice addition to any work shop environment.
Dan

Most like the Black and White shot of you standing with your "prize"....Sort of like shots form old of big game hunters with their "kills".....
Great to sense your excitement at having a machine to call your own.....
Keep us posted on your progress . Nice looking machine by the way....Looks to have "proper" spindle tapers (40?), and power feed on the "Y" .
Sadly no sensitive quill on the horizontal.
Cheers Ross

Those FN machines are really nice
I would buy one in a hartbeat for personal use
Cheaper as a Deckel and more then decent quality
Perhaps you can even get parts
If you need any perhaps I can give you a adresse

Welcome to the forum btw
Its always nice to see another dutchman

Peter

Thanks guys.

Yesterday i've painted the machine base in a epoxy primer, and now i am preparing the last parts now to paint it all at once. in RAL6011.

Peter, i am always looking for parts and/ or other metal working stuff for these and my other machines. Maybe we can help each other ;)

I have also a Harrison T280 CNC/ manual lathe, Aciera F3 milling machine(still looking for W20 collets), Power hacksaw machine. (can't find any brandname on it, but it is in a good condition.), Bewo cold saw. Most of the machines have been bought as damaged and/ or missing parts machines. So there is plenty of work to do :D

And indeed Ross, spindle taper 40, and power feed on all the axis.

Jens

Hi Jens,

Nice to see the restoration here!

Motivates me to pick up my FA3V rebuild from its 1 year+ hiatus.. :willy_nilly:

Real nice machine, i like it.

Here is one I sold maybe 10 years ago had all the goodies except dividing head

Attachments

• IMG_20160501_122126.jpg
    IMG_20160501_122126.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 896
Hello Guys,

Just a few weeks ago i've done most of the primer work, now i am busy with the filler and sanding..

IMG_2856 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

IMG_2855 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

IMG_2800 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

I Also found some problems inside the vertical head. I think someone has mounted the bearings wrong, A piece of steel has been grinded of in al those years:

IMG_2784 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

Still got to figure out what the problem is/was..

Edit:
Oh, and... I've found a nice cabinet to fill with drills and cutting tools. Happy me! :crazy:
IMG_2731 by Jens Orie, on Flickr

Cheers,
Jens

It has been a while, but i am finally almost done :D

The most heavyest parts are installed. (with some inprovisation portal cranes of Europallets)

Untitled by Jens Orie, on Flickr

Assembling has begun by Jens Orie, on Flickr

An improvisated portal crane:

En weer een stapje verder:

Next week i am going to place the gearbox switches and the vertical head.
I've bought a Heidenhain digital readout, now i only have to find three scales, does anyone know a adress where i can buy used stuff? New is yet to expensive for me.

Cheers, Jens

Wow, it has been almost 5 years ago since i updated this post...

Because i hate it to read projects like these wich suddenly stops for no reason, hereby some more photo's of the machine.

The machine was finished in 2017, after a water leakage i had to do the whole rebuild again. Or at lease dismantle all the axis to remove and repair the water damage.

After an old Heidenhain DRO set gave more and more failures, i decided to put on a new low budget DRO. It is not as good as an new Heidenhain, but better than nothing for now.

Putting the Z axis to the machine:
33847388573_9bca2d978c_o by Jecri,

33847389673_e351f123ac_o by Jecri

Scale and detailing:
34061577633_4f12729bc2_o by Jecri

Y axis without the ram:
34271876940_d0b8111487_o by Jecri

Last pieces to install:
34495208362_c235b3cfcb_o by Jecri

Some more paint jobs on the covers:
painting-the-tos-fn25-resedagreen-ral6011_30131559441_o by Jecri

Rebuilding the vertical head:
28609650743_ba4e78a8aa_o by Jecri

I also had to make a new spindel guide (?) for the X axis. The original one was broken.
IMG_4129 by Jecri

IMG_4139 by Jecri

And there it is! all up and running :)
IMG_2570 by Jecri

Next to his little brother, wich recently came in :)
IMG_2676b by Jecri

Best regards
Jens

Back