What's new
What's new

1984 Metba MB2

I recently purchased a Metba MB2 on a French auction (thank you TNB for all assistence)
Here some pics after cleaning and servicing

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

On the last pic you see the new sticker that was made for the controlepanel
The original one was completly worn
At the local copyshop they made a scan of the old one.did some touch up and made a sticker
Glued it on and then a transparant foil on top All that for €75 Money well spend IMHO

Peter

Congrats. As an aside, unless you are a kinda small guy, judging from the video that mill is surprisingly large...it almost looks like a Deckel FP4M with less travel and DC drive. ;)

I would have been interested in it myself except it sounded a bit loud for my taste....but I realize often a video cam or smart phone will exaggerate gear noise so perhaps in real life it was fine.

The machine stands on a pallet So perhaps thats why it looks bigger
Dimensions are more like a Deckel FP3
Did anyone notice the additional T slot on top of the X-axe
With the riser you can give the table 2 extra clamps in the right angle position

Peter

Peter, in what country was the machine made? Another little touch: I like the way that the coolant drain from the table is plumbed directly to the base. Cheers, Bruce

The machine stands on a pallet So perhaps thats why it looks bigger
On a pallet or at least on timbers is the way I'm used to seeing machine tools....heck, even the machines I use are still on pallets or timbers just so I can move them around easily if need be.

On a pallet or at least on timbers is the way I'm used to seeing machine tools....heck, even the machines I use are still on pallets or timbers just so I can move them around easily if need be.

LOL

I doubt you would find too many machine shops with their machines on palettes, unless they were shipping them. Maybe you do that with yours after you're done moving them around for a bit? :)

LOL

I doubt you would find too many machine shops with their machines on palettes, unless they were shipping them. Maybe you do that with yours after you're done moving them around for a bit? :)

"Maybe"? 5,000+ posts on PM and you are still Captain Oblivious?

Welcome to Procyon Machine - Specializing in CNC Machine Tools...

Description match a machine shop? Or a machine tool DEALER? As Peter is as well FWIW.
The good kind.

Both of them KNOW their machinery, too. Fussy about it, even. Very.

Neither are even remotely into how fast porch-paint will dry when applied over scrap metal with greasy swarf as a primer.

Grab a coffee now and then, willyah?

"Maybe"? 5,000+ posts on PM and you are still Captain Oblivious?

Welcome to Procyon Machine - Specializing in CNC Machine Tools...

Description match a machine shop? Or a machine tool DEALER? As Peter is as well FWIW.
The good kind.

Both of them KNOW their machinery, too. Fussy about it, even. Very.

Neither are even remotely into how fast porch-paint will dry when applied over scrap metal with greasy swarf as a primer.

Grab a coffee now and then, willyah?
Tradional is unencumbered by the thought process and desperate for any "gotcha" one of the tumbleweeds rolling thru his empty skull might light upon ;)

Tradional is unencumbered by the thought process and desperate for any "gotcha" one of the tumbleweeds rolling thru his empty skull might light upon ;)

Hardly news.

Even the most notorious and habituated of Bitches gets bitch-slapped now and then, same as poison-ivy gets scratched.

Akin to posting a 'wet floor' placard near a flooded loo I suppose. Might save the unaware from an enduring pain in the ass.

Peter,

Saw your video of this machine....

What is the small wheel up by the quill that you rotate about 3/4 into the video? Is that some type of micro-feed?

Very nice machine! :cheers:

That's pretty cool, never thought of a quill on the horizontal, but it makes perfect sense. Very cool feature!

Hardly a new idea. Just better applied than some others.

Six-foot swing pre-1900 Niles Toolworks "Horizontal Boring LATHE" I did 100-ton crane turntable bearing mount structures on had it. Handwheels about 3 foot across, fore and aft on the headstock, foot-tread and steps cast right in to that HS to get into that partic'lar operator position, just back of the faceplate. Good non-skid boot-soles recommended.

Foreman's idea of "justice" first day on the job, that tasking was. Payback for walking in the door with but ONE micrometer in my box. O-3/8" B&S. Hearing aids Friday. Mining machinery Monday. All seemed like great good fun at the time.
:)

A lott of Deckel and Deckel clone milling machines have that feature too Only the FP1 does not have it

I'm sure it's nothing an original idea to this mill specific, but none of the horizontal mills I've used or own have that feature. I could see it being useful.

It makes me wonder about the gearing on the wheel, because one advantage of using the quill is to be able to feed faster than a handwheel. Is that small wheeled geared so that it moves the quill with less rotation, IOW a higher ratio? Otherwise I don't see what the advantage would be over the Y axis itself which has power. Anyway, nice machine! :)

Feed on an FP3 for example is geared to give approx .5" of quill travel per rev. Where the "Y" axis is advanced .100" per turn of the feed hand wheel.....

Not exactly like a drill press action but quick enough...the real advantage is that because you are only moving the quill the "feel" is very light and the feed back immediate, so sensitive work
is easily accomplished...Also, the quill makes it easy to tell when the tool has touched the work (setting zero) where with the lower ratio on the slide the touch point becomes a bit
less defined.

In short both movements have their uses...having the quill is just another feature that will make you, the operator, better...
Cheers Ross

Hi Peter,
I bought a similar machine but unfortunately the electrical panel got lost. Don't you perhaps have any drawings or know where I can find some for this specific unit?
Jan (south Africa)

Back