What's new
What's new

45/5 buttress thread insert availability

millwrong

Aluminum
I've been trying to order some W20 arbor blanks from Schaublin. I've got the cash burning a hole in my pocket, but it seems no one who represents Schaublin wants to take my cash.I haven't exhausted this route by any means, but the indifference/lack of response is getting old. At this point, I'm ready to order a stick of stress-proof and make my own. Lacking a tool grinder, and not really wanting to hand work a piece of HSS, I thought I'd check if anyone has found a resource for inserts. Anyone found anything useful,and available? Any alternatives that my idiot self hasn't considered?

Hi Millwrong,

Making it yourself is probably the best alternative because then you can control materials and size to suit your needs. But if you can get by with short blanks, here is one alternative, where they are in stock and will ship in a day.

W20 shank with S19,7 x 1.666 and 26 mm soft end - RCW20ZG | tool chuck | RCM-PRODUCTION | RC Machines Luxembourg EN

I have purchased both W20 and W25 parts from RC-Machines. Most were OK although I had to return one part (threaded W25 sleeve for making drawbar) because the thread form was wrong. Second time around they provided a part which fit.

Last edited:
I have a couple of the W20 arbors from RC Machine and I wouldn't recommend them, they are far from Schaublin quality.

making them shouldn't be to bad, just grind the bit by hand, it isn't crazy critical given how these threads fit together. (loose)
the tricky part can by setting the lathe to cut the 1.66mm pitch thread, I had to change some gears on my 135 (from the standard metric setup)

Luke

Thanks all for the help! mTeryk, it scorches me that I missed that post! Oh well, it's Friday; so I will buy you all virtual drinks,and whatnot in appreciation!:cheers:

If you’re wanting adaptors for BT 40 or CAT 40, FPS (and others) in Germany sells em relatively cheaply.

Back