Abene DRO - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abene DRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe there is a way to mount to the fixed end stops? Something to consider. Post results if you get anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just ordered a 3-axis DRO for mine. Bit the bullet finally, after about 3yrs... I'll thoroughly enjoy just looking at the DRO instead of the collars. I think that's about the only thing I don't really care for on my Abene... the lack of ability to rotate the micrometer collar relative to the leadscrew. Instead it's rotating the zero tick-mark on the "mating" collar, which can be a pain to try and watch in terms of what position it's at. Anyway, looking forward to finally having a DRO. I'll try to make a halfway decent write-up on the install, with photos. Hopefully I'll have some time as well to finally look into why my Z-axis feels stiff. (rapid won't move it up, and barely down in some spots). Anyway, separate thread later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just curious as to what maker and supplier you choose for your DRO?
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For mine I chose the cheapie one. Would I have loved to get a much nicer one for a couple grand? Hell yes. Do I use the machine enough, or make enough money on that machine to justify that? No, unfortunately. So I went with the $330 one on Amazon, should do the job just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got the DRO in the other day, just need to figure out how I want to mount it all. I think I'll at least put the X scale on the operator side of the table. I can space it out if need be to get at travel stops, and it won't eat up 1/2"+ of axis travel like putting it on the column side would. I don't particularly care for having to drill and tap holes on the knee for the Y scale, but I don't think there's a way around it.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please post a couple of photos and a link to the Amazon item that you bought. Is this one of the DROs that uses capacitive scales similar to those used on digital calipers? One of these days I need to get a DRO for my surface grinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

8. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I came across this the other night. This is where I got the front-mounted idea from. Although, they spaced theirs out. I won't on mine (yet) unless a need arises.

Behold, the elusive quilled head.
    Abene VHF 3 mill - tools - by owner - sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alrighty here we go... Got mine installed over the past few evenings. It did take a while, some of that time was contacting seller with questions about the display, and a couple other issues that I believe have been resolved.

I really don't enjoy modifying (adding holes, etc) to machinery, so I did manage to install all 3 axis and the display while only adding 2x #10-32 drilled and tapped holes, for the Y-axis scale mount. All other mountings used existing holes. Although, I do want to install the chip guards firmly, they're currently just resting there until I figure out how to mount them. Not super high on the priority list (have lots of work to do otherwise).

Anyway, photos:
    2017-12-12-23.06.32.jpg

2017-12-12-23.06.49.jpg

2017-12-13-23.10.08.jpg

2017-12-13-23.10.29.jpg

2017-12-14-21.07.18.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One more:
    2017-12-14-21.19.29.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks good. Thanks for posting pictures and a link to your purchase. I may be using some of this for future reference.

Country
    NETHERLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice ! Thanks for the info !
    Happy Holidays everyone.

Country
    NETHERLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20180126_181259.jpg20180126_181355.jpg20180130_163848.jpg20180201_093704.jpg20180201_093736.jpg
    Finally DRO installed.

15. Likes pianoman8t8, Veebee liked this post
    Country
    NETHERLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One more picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180201_112709.jpg  

17. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    SWEDEN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if you know, but on the abene you can turn the micrometer dials. You have to grab the ring which is the dial and push It forward before rotating. Then, you can turn the zero mark if you have the need to

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman8t8 View Post
    Just ordered a 3-axis DRO for mine. Bit the bullet finally, after about 3yrs... I'll thoroughly enjoy just looking at the DRO instead of the collars. I think that's about the only thing I don't really care for on my Abene... the lack of ability to rotate the micrometer collar relative to the leadscrew. Instead it's rotating the zero tick-mark on the "mating" collar, which can be a pain to try and watch in terms of what position it's at. Anyway, looking forward to finally having a DRO. I'll try to make a halfway decent write-up on the install, with photos. Hopefully I'll have some time as well to finally look into why my Z-axis feels stiff. (rapid won't move it up, and barely down in some spots). Anyway, separate thread later.

19. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    NETHERLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To the subject of the sump plugs : on my new Abene , this is how the system should be to prevent pushing the plug too far inside :20181002_161244.jpg

21. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swehollow View Post
    I don't know if you know, but on the abene you can turn the micrometer dials. You have to grab the ring which is the dial and push It forward before rotating. Then, you can turn the zero mark if you have the need to
    Huh, I'l have to try this when I get home... I didn't realize that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I should pull the sump plug(s) on mine, I'm sort of wondering what may crawl out.. LOL.. I'll do that when I check the knee leadscrew and oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey would ya look at that... The micrometer dials DO move relative to the leadscrew, super handy! Now my zero won't be on the bottom, or any other random inconvenient location. Thanks for the tip!

I pulled the Z leadscrew cover off also since I was right there, and it was pretty dry in there. I put in about a couple cups of Vactra #2 for now until I can get some DTE 25 and at least a new O-ring for the top cover. After coating it with way lube and running it up and down in Z a few times, it still feels a bit stiff. Maybe the Z gibs are too tight? It does get a bit stiffer to move the higher it goes, especially at the last 2-3" inches of travel at the top. Stiff enough that if I set the auto feed to, say, 12ipm or 17ipm, it'll click out of gear (clutch) due to the resistance of motion. From the top, it won't jog down in rapid until I'm about 6" from the top. Then it rapids down, but struggles. Rapid up is definitely a no-go. Also a noticeable change in "stiffness" in Z handle rotation once the larger of the 2 leadscrews is turning. Anyway, maybe all this 2nd paragraph should be in a separate thread...

2018-10-11-18.26.01.jpg
    Last edited by pianoman8t8; 10-12-2018 at 09:33 AM.