What's new
What's new

Abene VHF-3 Belt and O-ring Info

Wildmtn

Plastic
I recently had a VHF-3 follow me home for essentially scrap value and have been working on bringing it back to life. It is SN 3967 for reference. In that effort I have come across a few things that I could not find in any searches. These may be useful to others down the road so I wanted to put that in a post. Overall it is in very good shape with a few issues I have been working on. I was able to check the table and square it to the spindle and tram my vise nicely. There is a slight amount of lash in the spindle through the drivetrain and a slight amount of lash in the X-axis with Y and Z being very tight.

First a compulsory picture.

IMG_1511.jpg

First the drive belt for the feed system was missing. The gearbox worked when spun by hand with no issues. In discussing with the Abene team now vemu.se, they gave me the specifications on the belts. I have attached the list of belts they gave me for others to reference. Since my mill uses a flat belt I found a serpentine belt that had similar specifications and installed it successfully. The belt I used was a Dayco 5070405 and there was plenty of adjustment in the motor mount to tighten. It has been working without issue for 10-20 hours of operation to date with no slipping or moving around detected.

Abene Belt Info.jpg

The second Issue I had was leaking from the spindle gearbox selectors. For this Vemu sent me the specifications on the o-ring sizes used. Those are also attached.
Abene Orings.jpg

I also had to install VFD's for both the spindle and a the feed system due to my lack of incoming power (off-grid). I could not handle the spindle startup using a rotary phase converter. All buttons function as intended by tying the VFD's into the existing wiring on the unit.

Overall been very happy with the mill and hope others searching the internet in the future can use the info I found thus far. Vemu.se have been very responsive and helpful in finding info for me especially considering the age of these mills.

-Mark

Hi, I have an Abene like yours. It has the leaking selector. I can't read the images you posted. Any chance you could email them to me? I'll pm you
Chris

PM sent. Sorry about the picture. Not sure why the size was so small. The rings in question are as follows through SN 4001.

302.298 - 12.3 X 2.4 mm
302.301 - 19.2 X 3 mm
302.303 - 29.2 X 3 mm
302.304 - 42.2 X 3 mm

I too have an Abene from the same era, sold my Bridgeport, and now use the Abene exclusively for all my milling. I missed the quill for about 2 weeks and now I don't even remember what it was like to have one. I too replaced the old flat belt with a serpentine belt and it has worked great. I have a leak under the bottom, no idea where it's coming from, I just keep topping it off and cleaning it up. What a great machine.

I finally put the serpentine belt on in place of the spindle drive flat belt. I used a Dayco 5080485. It was only 8 ribs but looked to be the proper length. When tight the motor was in the same position as my standard flat belt. I have not taken any very heavy cuts yet but did run at max RPM and did not have any slipping but YMMV. If you can find one or equivalent it may be good to have as a backup even if you are HP limited and is likely more readily available then the custom flat belts. I was also thinking to myself that if I do get slipping I may just add a tensioning system as those are readily available and inexpensive.

Interesting. Bit surprised that this setup would give enough horse power transfer running a "polly-Vee" belt flat.....
The ability to transfer the power on a polly-vee is derived by the surface area of all the belt "Vees", unlike a standard Vee belt which gets its grip from the deformation of the belt cross section
when going around a pulley.....
Polly-Vee belts have a pretty small area at the crest of their vees, which really limits the actual area of contact.

Interesting how this will work out in the long run and under a real load....Wondering why you did not cut the correct grooves into the flat pulleys to take full advantage of the Polly-Vee geometry... ?
Cheers Ross

This was working to find a less-expensive and readily available backup. I know many people use serpentine belts and stitch them together on their lathes (lower power) so if figured it would be worth a try.

Each rib or crest on this belt is actually flat and about 0.112" wide and represents the majority of the belt width. The additional surface area in V's on these belts represent less than 50% of the total belt surface area based on the depth and width of the grooves. Even if I can only achieve 1/4 of the power transfer this belt typically sees that is still more than the mill produces. This belt is used in big diesel trucks for reference. I can also get a 12-rib version and 50% more contact area. Tension is the only factor that I feel may need attention.

I have a standard flat belt already so did not want to modify the existing pulleys for the V-belt and based on the above I am not sure it is necessary. Time will tell!

Here is what these belts look like:

belt.jpg

HI Mark

Would you mind posting the Abene oring and seal part number info of your first post in a larger size (or share via PM or email)?

Thanks and regards
John

Back