What's new
What's new

Abene VHF-3BS Spindle Removal

Wazic

Plastic
Hi folks,

Has anyone with an Abene VHF-3BS (quill head) ever taken their head apart? (Mid 80's vintage) I am opening everything up to clean and re-grease. I have taken out the nose guide ring, and the down-feed mechanism. The only thing left is to slide the spindle sleeve out of the head. I believe the only thing left is to loosen is the two pin cap nut at the top of the spindle, which traps the return spring.

I made a two pin wrench, and would like someone who has done this before, to confirm they are normal threads (lefty loosey) and not reverse threads, before I start to lift my feet off the floor to get this to loosen.

Thanks much,

W

Attachments

• 3BS Top Cap.jpg
    3BS Top Cap.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 52
Hi folks,

Has anyone with an Abene VHF-3BS (quill head) ever taken their head apart? (Mid 80's vintage) I am opening everything up to clean and re-grease. I have taken out the nose guide ring, and the down-feed mechanism. The only thing left is to slide the spindle sleeve out of the head. I believe the only thing left is to loosen is the two pin cap nut at the top of the spindle, which traps the return spring.

I made a two pin wrench, and would like someone who has done this before, to confirm they are normal threads (lefty loosey) and not reverse threads, before I start to lift my feet off the floor to get this to loosen.

Thanks much,

W

I just did my spindle though not a quill type. That nut looks like it is the captive nut for the draw bar which on mine is a left hand thread which was very tight . Mine of coarse is a different design so can't say for sure what you've got there .
Ted

Hello
It's a left hand thread.
Abene VHF3 machine
I did the same just to clean and replace seal.
best regards
Kyriakos

Thanks so much, that makes it clear. Believe it or not, as I read your post, I realized I had already read it, back when you posted it, and I printed it to a pdf. I thought I would need it someday, so I put it someplace safe, so safe, I never found it again...

Cheers,

W

Back