Login to Your Account
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Abene VHF3 1963 - Dissassembly

Hi!

This is my first post, but I've been reading for many years and thanks to this forum and the few excellent restoration threads I ended up with an Abene as the proud second owner - it was used from new in a one man precision shop in Södertälje/Stockholm and it certainly has seen some action, but also a well documented service, as it must have been a big investment for a young machinist at the time. I've now owned it for some years.

My Abene developed recently the knee leak and now that all my oil is in the coolant sump I have to do something about it. The table removal was straightforward and the wear is very even and identical on both sides. The scraping was still nicely visible in the center of the saddle, but worn out towards the ends. But now I'm stuck with the telescopic chip guards. My machine has them fixed very elegantly with a negative V at side of the telescopic cavity, so I can't lift them upwards out of the way. They have also some chips jammed in-between, so they move really hard back and forth - The Y movement was not very good, so this is the culprit and I definitely need to get them off and clean. The chip guard plates have also coolant grooves built in them and there is also a drain channel to the front of the machine. This was a fairly sophisticated set-up and these details seem a lot simpler in the pictures of newer machines.

But, thanks to this setup I need to remove the small gearbox out of the way next, as the chip guards are one piece and they slide only outwards / towards the front. The gearbox now hangs in place with a drive shaft and the lead screw.

So my question would be - do I need to remove the side gearbox to release the saddle gearbox shafts and the lead screw? Peeking thru my small opening I don't see an alternative, as the sprockets of the side gearbox seem to be in the way for the shafts to slide towards the front.

With winterly greetings from Helsinki, Rosteri

gear.jpg
    table.jpg

2. Likes JHOLLAND1, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yours and mine are slightly different but for mine: As far as I can remember you need to remove the knee gearbox in order to remove the lead screw that will allow you to lift that part out of your knee and then slide the covers forward.
    WHATEVER YOU DO READ MY POST 8. Don't be like me and break a gear.

Abene S/N 3864 Overhaul Thread

4. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks! I have seen your post and I did plan to do the famous "Dovel pin turn - pull maneuver" - thanks for sharing your findings, information like this is really essential as none of us have former experience from service or assembly of these machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice looking machine. Welcome!
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Out of curiosity, what year is your machine? I notice the switches are located up on the side rather than under table on X- side, as well as the coolant pump location difference and the missing 2 large cap/plugs on the front lower casting. Mine is a 1970 model. Nice clean machine you have!