What's new
What's new

Acier F5 vertical head oil leak

rklopp

Diamond
User hk51 sent me a PM about an oil leak on his Aciera F5, and difficulty in removing the bevel gear carrier from the top of the vertical head. I thought I should reply here in public so that others can benefit.

My F5 vertical head leaks oil, too. It's not a show-stopper, as it is little more than I have seen with a total-loss system like a Bridgeport. I don't see that there is an oil seal, but I have not disassembled the head other than to remove the quill. On the other hand, the vertical head on my F4 has an obvious oil seal and does not leak. I have seen the seal, having disassembled that head to replace the bevel gear bearings damaged by water ingress found when I received that machine. (That damage was repaired 7.5 years ago, and the machine has been just fine ever since.)

Upon studying and comparing the F4 and F5 manuals I see that, for the manuals I have, the F4 and F5 vertical heads are identical. However, the designs are different between the actual F4 and F5 that I have. I believe my F5 is about 10 years older, so there may have been a design change to add an oil seal that is not reflected in the manuals that I have.

I do not recall difficulty disassembling the F4 head, but I did have to turn up a soft aluminum drift to help push the bevel gear carrier out the top from below. The bevel gear carrier has an undercut that hangs up a little on exit. See photos below and in the next post for the F4 disassembly.
1-Quill Assembly.jpg2-Head without Quill.jpg3-View from Below into Head After Quill Removal.jpg4-View from Top after Quill Removal.jpg5-Starting Removal of Bevel Gear Carrier.jpg

More photos. The last photo shows a labyrinth that presumably is there to help keep dirt from entering around the bearing locknut at the top of the head. The view in the photo is looking from the bottom. My F5 vertical head does not have a bearing locknut like the locking split nut on the F4 or shown in manuals. I have not disassembled the F5 to figure out how the bevel gear bearings are retained.
6-Knocking out Bevel Gear Carrier with Soft Aluminum Rod.jpg7-Bevel Gear Carrier.jpg8-Top of Head with Oil Seal Visible 2.jpg9-Top of Head with Oil Seal Visible.jpg10-Interior of Bevel Gear Carrier Viewed from Bottom with Labyrinth at Top.jpg

HI,

I have a fairly severe leak on my F4 and was hoping to review a section view, get helpful advise etc. Can you shed any light on how it is sealed prior to disassembly?

David

Back