What's new
What's new

Aciera F1 Y axis dial slipping

Mechatronics

Plastic
The Y axis on my Aciera F1 binds a little at the ends of its travel causing the dial to slip. I oiled everything, pulled the Y axis bronze leadscrew nut, and slid the head by hand to confirm free travel through the entire range. Feels pretty good overall.

I inspected the bronze nut thread, and reversed it (it has seen better days). With the nut reversed the Y axis travels its entire range better, but the dial still binds and slips occasionally (thereby losing its position and zero reference).

I took the dial apart, cleaned, put it back together, and adjusted the bearing plate to take up excessive slack. The dial still slips even though the grub screw is tight. Any suggestions what else I ought to look at?

A DRO would solve the problem, but I want the dial and leadscrew to work as intended.

Ok re-reading your post after a second cup of coffee, I understand that the problem is not the end of the screw beeing out of true...

Does the dial slip in both directions of travel ?
How the thrust load handled by the screw ?

Last edited:
Ok re-reading your post after a second cup of coffee, I understand that the problem is not the end of the screw beeing out of true...

Does the dial slip in both directions of travel ?
How the thrust load handled by the screw ?

I only drink one cup of coffee. Maybe I should try two...?

Yes, the dial slips occasionally in both directions - particularly at the end of travel when things tighten up some.

Prior to the cleaning, reversing the nut and reassembly it would bind a little which made me think a chip (or something) got in there. In reality, it likely had to do with a partially damaged thread at the start of the nut, now at the other end post-reversal.

Not sure what you're asking regarding handling thrust load. Action of the Y axis screw feels smooth, unless it's going through a tight area (where the dial slips more often). It's able to cut stainless (annealed 316) easily and/or push against resistance. Is that what you mean about thrust load?

Thanks for the help. Might this require a third cup of coffee?

Most of the time, dial slipage is caused by the dial rubbing against its fixed counterpart.
Usually, this occurs only in one direction, when the play is taken up by the thrust of the leadscrew thus causing the dial to drag.
In the other direction, the screw generally tends to push the dial away from the fixed part.

Normally, the leadscrew should have a shouldered portion of the appropriate lenght so as to isolate the dial from any interference with its fixed counterpart whatever the efforts on the screw, but yours may be a little worn out ?

Back