What's new
What's new

Acu Rite II DRO Cables

Jonathan Smith

Plastic
I bought a Deckel FP1 with Acu Rite II DRO. Sweet little machine. The cables are about 15'. I want to shorten them to about 3' or 4'. The cables attach to the control box with round 6-pin Canon connectors. The other end is soldered to wires coming off the reader head. These connections are tucked into a junction box. 2 of the wires have resistors and I assume they are sized for the cable length.

Does anyone know how the resistors are sized?

Does anyone know if shorter cables are available.

Its an old system and works well but the coils of cable are ugly.

20210218_152803.jpg20210218_152729.jpg20210218_152942.jpg

Does anyone know how the resistors are sized?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that these resistors are to limit the current in case of a short circuit in the head. In that case they will be at least 50 or 100 ohms. If that's the case, then the cable length won't matter, as it adds very little additional resistance. So I suggest that you use an ohmmeter to determine the resistance of the two resistors. As long as that resistance is more than a few ohms, you can shorten the cables without any concern.

I really doubt the resistors have anything to do with cable length since you are dealing with digital signals here and not analog. Ballen is likely correct as to their purpose.

A distance of 10 feet isn't going to make a difference with 5 volt pulses.

Back