Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi T,

Quote Originally Posted by TNB View Post
    Yes. I had forgotten the rear bushing. It's been so many years since I dismantled my FP3. That sorta makes sense, but only if that hole #1 is the lubrication port for the bushing and is simply fed by the wasted oil collected by the sheet metal. Because if that hole is supposed to bring oil up here, then how is that oil brought to the parts to be lubed (and how would oil be brought up in the first place) ?
    Thanks for looking at your book and for the drawing. It is intriguing, but makes it appear that on the FP3 there is a single aluminum frame that extends all the way to the back, in other words that the FP2 f and g parts have been combined into a single part. Is screw 40 labeled as a set-screw?

To answer your question about "where would the oil come from": if you look STRAIGHT DOWN into hole #1, you will see a passage that continues vertically down, and joins to the shaft that comes straight up from the feed drive box lower down in the machine. So perhaps (maybe this is crazy!) the system is designed so that when the feed is running rapidly, oil is pumped up that shaft and out of hole #1. There is also a second outlet for this hole, out the back, which then lets oil run to the part called the "Ölfang" which literally means "oil catcher" and feeds the excess oil back into the lower sump.

My crazy explanation still doesn't completely make sense, because there is no way for this system to feed oil to the bushing and to the rear bearing, UNLESS this missing cover has some channel that leads from hole #1 to the area around the rear bushing.

So the bottom line is that we need a photo or first-person description to settle this matter!

Cheers,
    Bruce

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear Group,

Time for the next installment. Franz Singer has provided the missing cover, and now I understand what's going on. First of all, it's just a piece of steel with two countersunk holes. Here's a photo:

img_1873.jpg

This piece has two functions. First, it catches the oil spray from the bevel gears. Second, it covers the hole labeled "1" in some previous photos. This hole is visible just below the bottom right hand corner of the steel cover. After some more cleaning, I discovered that this hole leads to a HORIZONTAL passage that feeds oil into the oil groove on the rear steel bushing on the feed screw nut. The oil comes from the gear attached to the vertical shaft that brings the power feed up from below. Keeping this hole covered is probably important to ensure that the oil feeds correctly.

I now have all the pieces in hand to finish this repair, it should be done soon!

Cheers,
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is amazing sometimes how something so simple can make a big difference on how things work...How many out there have taken that little plate off and not put it back thinking it didnt seem to be needed?

Charles

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Group,

I got a couple of more hours in the shop this morning. I checked that the lead-screw nut (which I had turned down a few thousandths) was true (TIR about 0.001") and then reassembled the lead-screw nut and checked one more time (this time near the bevel gear). Same result.

img_1877.jpg

img_1880.jpg

Here are a couple of more shots of the top going back together. Note to myself: the oil groove for the bushing of the lead-screw nut goes towards the REAR of the machine. It gets oil from a horizontal passage at the same offset from the back as hole #1 in the photo.

img_1879.jpg

img_1882.jpg

Question 1:
    I have just turned my attention to cleaning up the ram head. I am changing the "wicking" which brings oil from the little "sump" on top. The wicking that I pulled out was tied like a "flower" with the "flower stem" going through the passage and then the "flower head" lying in the oil sump. Is that correct? The manual says 2 x 100 mm pieces are needed, which is not so long. I guess the idea of the flower head is that some part of it is more likely to be lying in an oil puddle if the oil sump is low.

Question 2:
    I adjusted the preload on the bearing on the back of the Y-arm lead-screw nut, so that the entire nut and bearing assembly is preloaded enough to remove any play. (The adjustment is the three hex head and three slotted screws visible at the top back of the machine in the final photo). Is that correct, or should I be aiming to leave a few thousandths of play (and backlash) in the bearings? The smaller one is an SK 51104, which is rated for a ton or two of axial force, so I figure a bit of preload is OK. Is that right?

Cheers,
    Bruce

5. Likes sigurasg liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Ballen,

Do you still have the German Version of the manual and the Parts List?
    I‘ve looking for a while for that, but can‘t find it in German..... ....... for a german tool.... :-)

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gnannto View Post
    Do you still have the German Version of the manual and the Parts List?
    Send me an email and I'll help you out.