What's new
What's new

Advice on MH 600T purchase

MedEngineer

Plastic
I have the opportunity to buy an MH 600t. I'll start with a few questions. I know nothing about these machines so any gotchas or things to watch out for would be helpful.
1. Is there a list somewhere that would tell me what the letter T means in terms of options?
2. Where is the serial number located? Its buried in junk so I need to know where to dig.
3. What are the accepted methods of providing power to these. It would be going in a home shop with 220 single phase.
4. It's not connected to power, so I have no idea what works and what doesn't. Assuming I have to convert it to a modern cnc controller like Linux CNC, what would a fair price be for this. I'm thinking of offering $1500.

I'm sure I'll think of more ?s but this should get me started.
Thanks
MedE

I don't own a Maho mill and have never worked with one, so can't help with that. But I do have a general comment about one of your questions.

It's not connected to power, so I have no idea what works and what doesn't. Assuming I have to convert it to a modern cnc controller like Linux CNC, what would a fair price be for this. I'm thinking of offering $1500

In my opinion, the fair price depends entirely upon condition. I have four main machines: lathe, mill, surface grinder and cylindrical grinder. All were purchased used, and the last three all required work to make them operational.

I can handle many repairs (replacement of bearings, replacing worn bushings, replacing bent or worn shafting, fixing/updating old electrical/electronics) myself at low cost. What is in a very different category are those that require fixing the geometry of a machine, by rescraping/rebuilding bearing surfaces. I have done some basic work like this on my mill and more extensively on the cylindrical grinder. But that required a lot of learning, some formal training, and lots of new tools and equipment.

So unless you are an experienced scraper and set up for that (crane/lifting tools, surface plate, Biax and hand scrapers, diamond sharpening tools for carbide, measuring/metrology tools) I would base the price almost entirely on the state of the bearing surfaces. Anything that you have the competence to replace or repair yourself (the controller and electronics, for example) has little impact on price. But you should pay what is needed to get a machine where the areas that you can NOT easily repair are in good shape. So in your place, I would make every effort to examine the X/Y/Z bearing surfaces. Are the original scraping marks and oil pockets still visible over the entire length of the ways? Are there signs of galling or places where the scraping marks are gone? Are the tapered gib strips pushed to the end of their travel? Are there signs that incorrect lubrication (ie, grease on bearing surfaces) has been used?

The other place where it can be difficult/expensive to correctly repair a machine is the vertical/horizontal milling spindles. It's worth listening to these, and checking them for heating, end play, and runout. Replacing the high-precision needle/roller bearings in milling spindles can be remarkably expensive and might require special tooling.

PS: if the machine has been painted badly, I would also reduce the price. That's quite time-consuming and labor-intensive to fix properly!

Last edited:

Back