What's new
What's new

Alexander master toolmaker history?

alihureiby

Plastic
Hello

I have opportunity to purchase Alexander master tool maker (GHA) for $1000, that is very similiar to Deckel FP1. anyone know about alexander history ? i mean how can they make really identical machine, do they make it under license from Deckel or what?

I go to tony website , lathes.co.uk and found that the old early deckel mill 1920 is supplied by Alexander? Deckel FP1 1920s Photo Essay

img0.jpg
img1.jpg
img2.jpg
img3.jpg
img4.jpg

G H Alexander made Deckel products under licence in Birmingham UK to all intents Alexander products are identical to those by Deckel although fasteners tend to be imperial rather than metric.

I have heard a story, whether true or not, that prior to Second World War Deckel's Jewish senior design engineer was spirited out of Germany to work directly for Alexanders in the UK.

I found little bit Alexander history through this website
George H. Alexander Machinery

this is Alexander brochure image in 1934 that look like the machine still has Fredrich Deckel badge on
1934.jpg

this is Alexander brochure in 1946 , they already use GHA badge name
1946.jpg

and this is 1950 brochure, the picture shown that machine still use deckel badge on it.
1950.jpg

So, the conclusion from that brochure seems, in 1930s, Alexander is agent in UK that like what bcstractor say above, and after WWII start in 1939, they (Alexander) start their own production in Birmingham with their own badge. But still i dont know clear about under license from any picture or brochure yet.

G H Alexander made Deckel products under licence in Birmingham UK to all intents Alexander products are identical to those by Deckel although fasteners tend to be imperial rather than metric.

I have heard a story, whether true or not, that prior to Second World War Deckel's Jewish senior design engineer was spirited out of Germany to work directly for Alexanders in the UK.

Thank you for that information, but it's quite hard to know about license right :D
Been looking decent mill, and have opportunity to purchase Alexander for $1000, already touch in hand, that Alexander quality is relly smooth that make me bit believing story about Deckel's senior design engineer that went to Alexander :D:D:D

Wait for 5 years to collecting all full decent equip workshop,
Already have Weiler primus , Myford ML8 lathe, Meddings pillar drill and other.

Back