What's new
What's new

Another toolroom type mill - anyone know the manufacturer?

PDW

Diamond
I recently acquired this machine locally. I cannot find anything like a maker's mark. It appears well made, it's in excellent condition. Came with the vertical head, high speed vertical head and slotting head. Serial numbers of them all match.

2 tables, the all angle one and a heavy duty box table. I mounted the angle table but it costs 75mm of Z axis so unless I need it I'll put the box table back on as the machine is not over-endowed with Z travel (or X, or Y come to that). Table sizes are 620 x 275 (roughly) for the angle table and 620 x 300 for the fixed box table.

Horizontal and vertical spindle are 40 taper. Came with a fair amount of tooling, mainly external buttress thread form so I assume Deckel type. Some tools with internal thread, haven't checked to see if it's metric or imperial, don't really care as I already have both for another machine. The high speed head came with small collets from 1mm to 12mm.

Came with 16mm, 22mm, 27mm and 32mm horizontal arbors but no 1" arbor. Guess what all my horizontal mill cutter bores are??? So I'll need to get or make one of those.

The PO swapped the 3 phase 2 speed motor for a single speed one driven via a VFD and tossed out the original motor. That was unfortunate as I have 415V 3 phase power but - things are as they are.

So - can anyone enlighten me as to where it was made or other interesting titbits of information? Any tricks to taking the vertical head off? Getting the horizontal drawbar out? Etc.

PDW

Attachments

• mm1.jpg
    mm1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,067
  • mm2.jpg
    mm2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,233
  • mm3.jpg
    mm3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,620
  • mm4.jpg
    mm4.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,216
Last edited:
I recently acquired this machine locally. I cannot find anything like a maker's mark. It appears well made, it's in excellent condition. Came with the vertical head, high speed vertical head and slotting head. Serial numbers of them all match.

2 tables, the all angle one and a heavy duty box table. I mounted the angle table but it costs 75mm of Z axis so unless I need it I'll put the box table back on as the machine is not over-endowed with Z travel (or X, or Y come to that). Table sizes are 620 x 275 (roughly) for the angle table and 620 x 300 for the fixed box table.

Horizontal and vertical spindle are 40 taper. Came with a fair amount of tooling, mainly external buttress thread form so I assume Deckel type. Some tools with internal thread, haven't checked to see if it's metric or imperial, don't really care as I already have both for another machine. The high speed head came with small collets from 1mm to 12mm.

Came with 16mm, 22mm, 27mm and 32mm horizontal arbors but no 1" arbor. Guess what all my horizontal mill cutter bores are??? So I'll need to get or make one of those.

The PO swapped the 3 phase 2 speed motor for a single speed one driven via a VFD and tossed out the original motor. That was unfortunate as I have 415V 3 phase power but - things are as they are.

So - can anyone enlighten me as to where it was made or other interesting titbits of information? Any tricks to taking the vertical head off? Getting the horizontal drawbar out? Etc.

PDW

Looks like MIKRON or DECKEL?

Looks like MIKRON or DECKEL?
It doesn't look at all like a Mikron and only vaguely like a Deckel (definitely not a Deckel however) Looks Polish or Bulgarian to me. Any data plates on any of the motors to at least know where the motors were made, as that might hint at where the machine was made.

This mill was on offer in mid 2004 in Gympie Qld. I contacted the seller who told me it originally came from the Theiss shipyard in Brisbane. He said that it was Polish. There was a chap from Tasmania with first option on it so I missed out on that one. It was sold on ebay about 2 years later, no doubt still in Tassie. The chap in Gympie was after a larger mill and at one stage had a look at the Stanko I subsequently bought in Melbourne. The Stanko is still going strong, a bit bigger than the Polish one you have.

This mill was on offer in mid 2004 in Gympie Qld. I contacted the seller who told me it originally came from the Theiss shipyard in Brisbane. He said that it was Polish. There was a chap from Tasmania with first option on it so I missed out on that one. It was sold on ebay about 2 years later, no doubt still in Tassie. The chap in Gympie was after a larger mill and at one stage had a look at the Stanko I subsequently bought in Melbourne. The Stanko is still going strong, a bit bigger than the Polish one you have.
In this country the Deckel style mill made in Poland in the mid 1980's was sold as the Polamco FNC-25. I just looked up the brochure and it looks very similar to this mill but not exactly the same. The head of the Polamco is more rounded and the Z handwheel is angled. I wonder if there was more than one Polish factory making these or if it is a Polamco, but with some design changes due to the year ?

Dear all,
I think I know what it is! It is a romanian FUS 22 from Infratirea Oradea. I have 1 in my home shop. it is actual the second one because I found a good condition machine in... Romania! next to a FP3L which I also took home. (half truck load of stuff, my wife happy!)
Both machines were in the toolroom of a beer brewery manufacturer.
Herewith some pictures.

If you need the manual I can scan it for you.

Best regards,
Michael from the Netherlands

IMAG0636.jpgIMG_2039.jpgIMG_2420.jpgIMG_1538.jpg

That sounds right. I first saw the machine in Hobart back a few years when it was listed on Ebay. Didn't buy it at the time because I had nowhere to put it. Fast forward to May this year and it was listed on Gumtree, I went and took a look at it, decided to buy it and was casually negotiating on price when the ad went away. It was a touch on the small side and I was going interstate where a person I knew had an FP1 for sale & possibly an FP2 as well so I never really followed up. I decided the FP1 was on the wrong side of the minimum useful size for what I do and due to some unfortunate life events I couldn't complete a deal on the FP2 in the time the owner had before it had to go out the door.

So I get home from 3 months travel, run my local searches for interesting tools and this one pops up again. The owner had moved, nobody else had bought the machine after all, it was sitting outside his new shop all tarped up, and the price had dropped because he wanted it gone. So, bugger it, I bought it.

WRT visible condition I can't fault it. Time will tell if it's as accurate as I'd like but I have seen it under power so I know all the speeds & feeds work. It doesn't really have enough Z axis space to make me happy but I am working on a couple different ideas there. Putting the fixed table back on will gain me approx 75mm of Z.

Nice to know some of its history.

PDW

Dear all,
I think I know what it is! It is a romanian FUS 22 from Infratirea Oradea. I have 1 in my home shop. it is actual the second one because I found a good condition machine in... Romania! next to a FP3L which I also took home. (half truck load of stuff, my wife happy!)
Both machines were in the toolroom of a beer brewery manufacturer.
Herewith some pictures.

If you need the manual I can scan it for you.

Best regards,
Michael from the Netherlands

View attachment 86252View attachment 86253View attachment 86254View attachment 86255

I can see the resemblance though there appear to be some variations also, possibly different size or model variation. I most definitely would like a copy of the manual, thank you. I will send you a PM with my email address.

The motors have European type numbering (commas instead of periods) so I was assuming European origin. I will take a picture of the one remaining motor nameplate and cover where the logo is visible. The previous owner threw out the original 2 speed 3 phase motor and replaced it with a single speed motor fed via a VFD so the machine could be run from single phase supply. I plan to retrofit the machine with a 2 speed 3 phase motor out of an Aciera F3 which got converted for the same reason - lack of true 3 phase power.

PDW

Hello PDW,
They made a complete line of mills. The old types are the FUS 200, that were 98% copies of the FP1, later the improved to the boxy type as the FUS 22. Also the made FUS 32 and that is bigger variant.

Here I have some pictures from a man in Romania I could buy 2 machines, 22 and 32 and lots of tools.
The quality is not so bad of these machines but not as a Deckel.

The FP3L I have was specially bought because there was no Romanian variant that was so accurate. I have the complete invoice from Deckel and they paid in 1973 200.000 DM for it!

Best regards,
Michael

IMG_2069.JPGIMG_2070.JPGIMG_2071.JPGIMG_2074.JPGIMG_2076.JPG

later the improved to the boxy type as the FUS 22. Also the made FUS 32 and that is bigger variant.

With these models, they switched to cloning from MAHO. :)
I did buy a slotting head for a FUS 22/32 (NOS for 300 €). It almost fits my MAHO MH700C. And the FUS 32 almost looks like the 700C.

Nick

I too have a FUS 22 here in Sweden, it's rather complete with tilting and box table, high speed drill head, dividing head and some other stuff but I'm lacking all the dokumentation soo I'm interested in your manual, Fiat 128. Is it possible for you to e-mail it to me if I PM my mailaddress?

Best regards
Thomas

recently purchase INFRATIREA ORADEA FUS 22
but no manual available with machine if any one kindly provide, it will very helpfull
thanks

Back