What's new
What's new

Another Yum-Cha Deckel Copy - Australia

Don't bet on it.
I don't know the weight of a similar sized deckel but i bet the deckel is a little bit heavier.
Yes we are off to a good year. thanks
Dave

If I had some side views of it I might could produce a Chinese brochure on it for you. Some of the Chinese "Deckel style" machines were "inspired" more from Maho's than Deckels. My guess is it is from Bei Jing Instrument Works in Bei Jing, China but can't tell for sure without more views.

Don't bet on it.
I don't know the weight of a similar sized deckel but i bet the deckel is a little bit heavier.
The Chinese Deckel and Maho style machines I saw in person at EMO in European shows in the early 90's seemed made ok....but really don't know long term prospects from just a trade show look and feel. But back then they were almost as expensive as the Eastern Bloc alternatives, so there would have been no benefit in importing any as the Eastern Bloc machines would have sold better here. But it really is amazing just how many different Chinese Deckel and Maho type mills there were (and maybe still are)...but one just never sees them here as they are too expensive even from China. Close as we get at the offerings from Knuth and even they now seem to offer only the worst of the lot.

Hmmmmmm $4k for a mill is not too bad, if it was half decent.

Hafco and others in Australia sell dodgy Chinese vertical/horizontals mills for more than that. A guy up the road bought one to tinker with and, well, word fail me. They are dreadful quality, and every weeks it seems something comes loose, breaks, or burns out. Everything about them is just crap. Last week there was a 'mystery' electrical failure, where a piece of plastic fell into the rotary switch and stopped one set of contact closing. While looking for that, found other problems in the making. Everything electrical is just cheap knock-off copies. <end rant>

Who knows, maybe it was a 'reasonable' quality, and would be suitable for a hobby guy, but too far away to have a look.

Back