Anyone here see the Emco FB4 at HGR in real life ?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anyone here see the Emco FB4 at HGR in real life ?

Except for a broken plastic hand wheel and a bit of paint off the bottom of the chip pan, looks like brand new in the photos.... so I bought it today. Still, might be some electronic nightmares ahead...like the prisitine Hermle CNC mill that Peter had ? They were calling it CNC but most likely is "Activ" at best...hope it's not CNC for that matter...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was going to look at it and asked opinions of the machine here, but didn’t get a response. Hope it works out I wanted it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know it is in fact a Tos FNGJ
    What I got told is that the Tos factory that produced and sold the Tos FNGJ amongst others started to work for Emco
    Then was taken over by Emco who desided to keep only the FNGJ in their program

Peter

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting it has the same control layout as the non-CNC TOS but with extra function buttons on the DRO. Wonder if it still uses the single motor drive system and cycles the clutches to move the axises. The TOS was one of my favourite machines for job shop work. Surprisingly rigid when facing stock but could still tight tolerances when drilling or boring. Plus the chip pan was well placed for putting a foot up on a long cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by twin staged View Post
    I was going to look at it and asked opinions of the machine here, but didn’t get a response. Hope it works out I wanted it.
    I had not noticed it until I was scanning HGR keyword "mill" on Sunday and was amazed at the photos....if not for some paint off in the chip pan I'd be inclined to think it had never been used. FWIW, you still might end up owning it as once I get it in here and check it out I will put it up for sale...price will depend on just how "like new" (or not) it actually is. But rather than HGR pig in poke mode, you will know the backlash, spindle sounds and electronics before purchase. Also I just happen to have a 1997 year complete manual for the FB4...operations and parts...in German. Never thought I'd own the machine I have this manual for !

I mostly bought it as it is probably the only opportunity in my lifetime to own an Emco FB4 mill...wouldn't surprise me if there is only one or two of these in the entire country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must be a secret machine...wondering why there is no link so the rest of us could see what the buzz is about...
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I seen it the other day, drooled breifly and then remembered I am saving for a house. Good luck, my HGR experiences have all been great to date.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    Must be a secret machine...wondering why there is no link so the rest of us could see what the buzz is about...
    Cheers Ross

Used Emco CNC Vertical Mill | HGR Industrial Surplus

10. Likes AlfaGTA, Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

KBC used to import this mill (TOS badged, but same machine) into Canada and I know of at least three up here. Probably a bunch more were sold if I know of three.

L7

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    KBC used to import this mill (TOS badged, but same machine) into Canada and I know of at least three up here. Probably a bunch more were sold if I know of three.
    Hmmm...you inspired me to look in my files...

img_1315-2.jpg img_1316-2.jpg

First scan from 1997 KBC catalog, second scan from 2008 Czech Republic annual machine tool guide. Interesting the KBC copy was too lame to mention the machine has ISO 40 taper spindleS.....yes, it does have horizontal capability...note the swivel bracket on top, similar to a Maho setup.

Looking in my FB4 parts book I see they offered a number of accessories....tilt swivel table, dividing head with overarm and tailstock, rotary table, slotter head.... talk about rare...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice looking machine. Did they offer an option for a different operator panel.
    That one looks like they were trying to spread everything out to make it look more important....or perhaps it was made for those cartoon characters that have only 3 very fat fingers on their hands..
    Gotta provide lots of space between the buttons for those guys...
    Cheers Ross

14. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    Nice looking machine. Did they offer an option for a different operator panel.
    That one looks like they were trying to spread everything out to make it look more important....or perhaps it was made for those cartoon characters that have only 3 very fat fingers on their hands..
    Gotta provide lots of space between the buttons for those guys...
    Cheers Ross
    LOL... interesting you mention that as it is curious the different setups there were in that regard...note in my two scans the KBC version had no DRO and therefore the control buttons were on top of the box...which looks kinda screwball. By 2008 they plopped on a DRO ? Or maybe that's a TNC straight line control ? Hard to tell the photo is so small. In my parts book they show yet another panel, but here again the photo so small hard to make out what it is exactly.

Would be fascinating to know where the heck HGR got this thing... would guess either a large corporation where the toolroom guys stuck to their Bridgeports and almost never used it... or a tech school that almost never used it ? or ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    You know it is in fact a Tos FNGJ
    I got told is that the Tos factory that produced and sold the Tos FNGJ amongst others started to work for Emco
    Then was taken over by Emco who desided to keep only the FNGJ in their program
    Certainly appears to be of TOS heritage...but the nameplate says this one was made by Emco in Austria

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Love to see an update when you get the machine. You have a rigger bringing it to you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had been also watching the FB4 Emco for the last 3 weeks as the price has been dropping. I did do some research and found out it is a rebadged Tos FNGJ. Lost some of the mystique of finding a rare Austrian milling machine in pristine condition, but I did put a low bid on it. The machine nameplate does not say "made in Austria", just manufactured by Emco Company in Austria. The motor nameplate states "made in Czechoslovakia"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by charlesadamida View Post
    I had been also watching the FB4 Emco for the last 3 weeks as the price has been dropping. I did do some research and found out it is a rebadged Tos FNGJ. Lost some of the mystique of finding a rare Austrian milling machine in pristine condition, but I did put a low bid on it. The machine nameplate does not say "made in Austria", just manufactured by Emco Company in Austria. The motor nameplate states "made in Czechoslovakia"
    My impression from hearing and reading opinions over two decades on various machine tools is that TOS has a better reputation than Emco. I know Emco's reputation is especially iffy on their CNC machines, thus why they have never gained much traction in the USA*. As such IMHO it would actually be a plus if the mill was manufactured in a TOS facility.

Re the price dropping...funny because if I had caught the listing early on I still would have bought it... saved about 1400 bucks by not knowing about it for a few weeks.

===============

*Having said that, we have a tech facility right here in South Carolina (Florence) that is outfitted almost exclusively with Emco CNC machines. I asked the director how that came about and the word was that Emco simply offered them a better deal than Haas did !

(on edit)... hmmm...just went to the SIMT website ( Our Advanced Machining Center Can Make It! ) and they took down the photos that show all the Emco machines and replaced them with hints of Haas...wonder if they are gradually changing over to Haas ? Found below image of the SIMT shop via separate search...

20. Likes Colt45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree with Ross on the operator panel.
    The Czechs know how to make high very quality tools, guns and machines, your EMCO mill looks much better built than any of the EMCO-Maier lathes and machines I've ever seen. Will be interesting to hear your report once the machine arrives and you can work with it. I thought Milacron might be repelled by the Euro paint scheme, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FB4 arrived yesterday. Connected to power and she sounds and feels like new. The green box is a 220 to 380 transformer. DRO works but LCD display with no backlight not very satisfying. Almost hoped the DRO didn't work so I'd be forced to replace it with a proper new one more in keeping with the character of this modern looking mill.

img_1338.jpg img_1356-1.jpg

A bit dirty from just sitting around but will appear as new when cleaned. The table surface is planed and not a single nick anywhere. Original cosmoline still on some of the surfaces like the underside of the vertical head.

23. Likes TNB, Colt45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to just assume you got this for a great price... wow, that does look nice. Too bad its angry red and not soothing deckel puke green.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think the reseda green would have outlined the gorgeous shpaes of the machine so well.

I suppose that's the way it goes when you hire the design department of a shoebox company.