Backlash on Deckel and Maho machines

toolnuts

Cast Iron
Hi All,

If there is no backlash elimination on the non-cnc
deckels and mahos, can you do climb milling successfully,
on those machines?

Paul

I climb mill all the time on my aciera F5, it has about .004" backlash in X, I haven't had any issues. I don't know about a deckel but on my aciera the feed engagement and axis lock are mutually exclusive so you can't put the axis lock on lightly to help like you can on other mills.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

In Germany, the rule of thumb is that a Deckel FP1 or FP2 with less than 0.5mm (0.020") of backlash in X is probably still in reasonably good condition, geometrically and otherwise. On many of these machines, replacing the X and Y lead screw nuts will get the backlash down to 0.1mm (0.004") or less. That's about the backlash on my FP2, and climb milling is no problem at all. If you are concerned then you can always set up your cut by feeding past the starting point and then returning to it, to tension the leadscrew nut in the same direction as the climb cut will tension it.

Last edited:
I think the backlash is only a big problem if the linear free travel is greater than the flute spacing of you cutter travelling over that distance if that makes sense, basically it's okay if it can't pull in too big a bite.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

I was climb milling cast iron today with my FP3L with a 4 flute 1/2” carbide endmill, 1250rpm, 400mm/min (16ipm), 1/2” DOC .10” radial engagement.

The machine just purred. I probably wouldn’t have done a climb cut like this on a Bridgeport? Then again maybe I would’ve.

Like everything in machining, whether a certain cut will work is subjective to lots of factors, and the make of the machine is one of the less important ones. Experiment with your machine and find out where it starts to complain.

Back