Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Greg. Iím pretty sure your right and itís the old style. I actual feel some reassurance in knowing what to expect and will complete the purchase and collect this weekend. It looks to have one collet installed. Iíll copy this and make a new one with an ER front end like you suggest. Thanks Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No worries Pete, you're going to love it, they're a beautiful machine to use.
    It's hard to tell from the photos weather the machine is coming from a dealer or a workshop where it's no longer required. If the later, be sure to ask if any of the tooling might be lying around somewhere, even see if you can chat with any previous operators who might know where any bits and pieces may be. If you can locate the horizontal arbour support (see bottom left of the tooling photo in post #7) that would be particularly useful.

Reproducing the taper from a collet is probably not ideal because the taper will only be correct when compressed so if you can find any fixed tooling like MT adaptors, shell or horizontal arbours this would be ideal. The drawing below details the taper dimensions.
    Cheers,
    Greg.

sentinel-thiel-mt-adaptor.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the drawing and advice. The mill is coming from a contractor who bought it at auction. He has some relationships with the factory workshop where it original came from so Iím trying to find out whether anything else is still available... probably not but fingers crossed!

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Greg,
    I was to hoping to draw on your experience again. Before starting my machine up I want replace/top oil levels. I have the manual for the Ďsí version so can see most lube points list there but it isnít at all obvious to me how you check or top up the main or feed gear boxes. Am I missing something obvious?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day Pete,
    The four main gear compartments each have their own oil fill plugs, drain plugs and sight glasses for checking the level.
    The feed gear compartment in the table support has a fill plug on the side and the sight glass is on the front up under the table.
    The main horizontal spindle has a fill plug and sight glass at the front and rear.
    There are numerous oil nipples but one of the more important ones is on the quill itself and is only accessible with the quill extended.

From the photos of your machine it looks like some of the sight glasses might be painted over. The original sight glass bubbles are plastic and fairly brittle, I replaced all of them with glass ones as they are virtually impossible to remove without destroying them.

The following photo is of my machine during reassembly and is not great but shows the main oil locations, if this doesn't help let me know and I'll take some better photos.

early-thiel-158-duplex-oil-locations.jpg

I have a copy of the early model manual which might be useful, let me know if you need a copy.
    Cheers,
    Greg.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kwijibo99 View Post
    The following photo is of my machine during reassembly and is not great but shows the main oil locations, if this doesn't help let me know and I'll take some better photos.
    That must be a very nice-looking machine. Could you post some photos from after you finished putting it back together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got heaps of photos taken during the disassembly but not much of it all back together so this one is about the best I could find.

thiel-duplex-158.jpg

There is also a clip on youtube that shows it in action.

YouTube

Cheers,
    Greg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to add to the info back in post #7 the following page is from a version of the manual that shows the early Thiel 158 taper in all its glory.

thiel-duplex-158-spindle-early-manual-v1.jpg

I appears that there was a full length solid internal draw bar that was used in conjunction with a "shroud nut" to facilitate retention and removal of taper shank tooling.

My machine didn't come with this drawbar so I machined up a bushing and use a cap screw of the required size directly in the taper shank adaptors. To eject the tools I back off the cap screw a turn or two and give it a wack with a dead blow hammer.
    Cheers,
    Greg.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Greg, Apologies if you get this reply twice. I thought I'd answered already but it doesn't seem to have posted.
    Thanks for the excellent lube photo/driagram, it was very helpful. You were right; the last guy had painted over everything. Despite this I was relieved to see that it did still contain some oil even though it looked old and the level was low. It is now drained with the gear box covers removed. As far as I can tell all gears, shafts and bearing appear to be in good condition. It looks like it may have had a rebuild at some point as many of the parts have been numbered with a marker pen. I'll post a photograph later.
    I saw your other thread on the spindle bearings so will pay special attention to lubing them.
    I think I'm OK for the manual. I have the spindle page you posted last time. I guess most other thing are similar?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kwijibo99 View Post
    Just to add to the info back in post #7 the following page is from a version of the manual that shows the early Thiel 158 taper in all its glory.

thiel-duplex-158-spindle-early-manual-v1.jpg

I appears that there was a full length solid internal draw bar that was used in conjunction with a "shroud nut" to facilitate retention and removal of taper shank tooling.

My machine didn't come with this drawbar so I machined up a bushing and use a cap screw of the required size directly in the taper shank adaptors. To eject the tools I back off the cap screw a turn or two and give it a wack with a dead blow hammer.
    Cheers,
    Greg.

I took the dead blow hammer approach also. I though it was kind of funny that the installed collet (and only Thiel accessory I have) is a 1/2 inch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ha, that's gold.
    Good luck and looking forward to some photos.
    Cheers,
    Greg.