2. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ross,

That's very useful information.

Based on those data sheets I need to retract what I wrote a couple of posts ago. All three of the 1/2" wide US-standard belts are 5/16" = 8mm or 11/32" = 8.7mm high, whereas the metric SPA belt is 10mm high. I'm not so concerned about 13 versus 12.7mm for the width. If the height difference was not a concern, then the AX belt would be the best match because it has a 38 degree flank angle, same as the metric SPA belt.

Given that you've got European machines and cars all around you, what's your experience here? Given that you like to do things as well as humanly possible, I would expect that you generally get what the manufacturer stated, provided that it's available somewhere in the world.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The height was noticeably different when comparing the original to the belt they had in stock. I am sure it would work but I’m not in a hurry to get the machine running. I ordered a Jason SPA1132 online.

5. Likes ballen, AlfaGTA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Weg motor I ordered from the Netherlands arrived in 3 days! I'm picking the VFD on the weekend and the V Belts are in transit.
    The motor looks like a match. I fit it to the motor plate adapter that attaches to the back of the mill. Everything looks like it will fit perfectly. The bolt that holds the V belt pulley is a M10 instead of the M8 bolt installed on the original Siemens motor. Other than that small difference, it should work. I'll know for sure once the VFD and V belts arrive.

7. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the mean time I modified the legs on my engine hoist. I got the idea from another forum member, DennisCA. The 2ton crane has proved to essential and so far my only gripe with it is that the FP2 won’t fit in between the legs. I made new base with a wider stance.
    1cc746c6-6263-48ec-84e4-d147d6c81309.jpg
    39cc267b-a48b-4470-a118-1682c8f72f0a.jpg

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3 days to get the motor is amazing. How was it sent? If you have time, please post a photo of the motor on the mounting plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Degull View Post
    I made new base with a wider stance.
    That looks great. Do you have a local place that does powder-paint coating? Around here there is a place I can bring things like that, and for 40 or 50 Euros they will sandblast it and powder coat it. (The price is lower if I pick a color that they are already using for another job.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The motor arrived by UPS. I had to pay an additional $40 in taxes/duties. It was package poorly and the box was destroyed. I don’t think the motor was damaged, we will find out once I get it running.

3ccb1a3d-3c92-4044-912c-2fcea93117a0.jpg
    97d5578c-4629-4cd9-88ab-aebceed2ff76.jpg
    97d5578c-4629-4cd9-88ab-aebceed2ff76.jpg
    a5cfabc8-9a80-4b30-9dd3-100ad93a61fa.jpg
    62fd14c4-7b6a-44a2-8c40-8625c27d5162.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are many powder coaters a short drive away. I have can of metal paint (tremclad) that is up the job.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Motor looks like a perfect fit, the color is the only thing that doesn't match. As I would have expected it came wired Y/star for 380V, so you will need to shift the jumpers for 230V delta.

After you get the VFD, I'm sure you'll have it up and running very soon.

My experience with similar 3-phase motors is that you can run them from 20% to 150% of their rated frequency, provided that they are not heavily loaded. So I would start with a frequency range from (say) 10 Hz to 70 Hz.

PS: I just looked online. WEG provides "VFD Operation Curves" for their motors. So if you write to their technical support and provide the full model number, they can probably send you a VFD operation curve, which you can use to program the VFD in an optimal way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    Motor looks like a perfect fit, the color is the only thing that doesn't match. As I would have expected it came wired Y/star for 380V, so you will need to shift the jumpers for 230V delta.

After you get the VFD, I'm sure you'll have it up and running very soon.

My experience with similar 3-phase motors is that you can run them from 20% to 150% of their rated frequency, provided that they are not heavily loaded. So I would start with a frequency range from (say) 10 Hz to 70 Hz.

PS: I just looked online. WEG provides "VFD Operation Curves" for their motors. So if you write to their technical support and provide the full model number, they can probably send you a VFD operation curve, which you can use to program the VFD in an optimal way.
    I’m not sure how to use the VFD operational curve but I like that I can get one! Thanks for that! I’ll send Weg an email with a request for my motor’s VFD operational curve. The VFD and the belts should be here by the weekend. The VFD is on the slow boat, I shipped it to a friends place just over the US /Canada border. I plan to pick it up this weekend.

I managed to use the engine hoist today. Lifting the FP2 with a wider stance engine hoist is a lot less stressful. I am going to leave the mill on a pallet I made out of left over oak hardwood flooring.
    08b0c78b-9d7c-4c93-b4de-85a262a72948.jpg
    Last edited by Degull; 05-15-2019 at 09:10 PM.