What's new
What's new

cotton wicking for oil, Y-axis ways, Deckel FP2

ballen

Diamond
cotton wicking for oil, Y-axis ways, Deckel FP2, how tight?

I've got the headstock off my FP2, and want to replace the cotton candle wicking that carries oil down to the Y axis ways. The wicking that I have is too small in diameter, so I can pass 2, 3 or 4 strands through the tube.

Does anyone have suggestions about how "tight" the cotton should be in the tube? The idea is that capillary action carries the oil along the cotton, and so it acts like a slow-motion siphon, but I'm worried that if I pack it too tight the viscosity of the oil will prevent it from moving along. Has anyone done some experiments with this?

I'm inclined to use the smallest number of strands that will stay in place (won't just fall though the tube) but am not sure.

Last edited:
Hi Bruce,
Based on experience with my ongoing FP1 overhaul and observations of oil flow using various cotton cord it does not work well if looped on the output end, it has to be a clean cut end otherwise the oil does not appear to drop off. As for how much in the tube, so long as it doesn't fall out, I used 2 pieces in upper to lower gallery of the saddle, the cotton has to be pulled through, not pushed in from my observation, to do this I used "aircraft" lockwire hooked through the end to pull through, hold the top end of the wick and pull a bit harder and it pulled free.
A recent refurb of a Thiel Die filer revealed that the wick pull wire was quite thin and left in the tube attached to the wick.
For cleaning small tubes I find pipe cleaners (smoking type pipe) are very useful. Alan.

Attachments

• wick.jpg
    wick.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 45
  • wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 47
  • cleaner.jpg
    cleaner.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 43
Alan, thank you, that is very helpful. I did not realise that a clean-cut end rather than looped was important. I'll use either 2 or 3 strands and follow your advice about installation. Cheers, Bruce

PS: some "internet research" reveals that similar wicking is used in some sewing machines to transport liquified grease. That indicates that some types of wool are a better choice than cotton, which has something to do with "surface energy" and the structure of the fibre. Any thoughts about that?

PPS: McMaster-Carr sells wool wicking here: McMaster-Carr

Bruce, not sure on wool, plenty of sheep here but never tried them for wicking (joke aside) the felt I got for the gallery restrictors and the main spindle lubrication is what the supplier called B grade felt as I had asked for wicking felt, the stuff I had on hand was called piano felt and was very dense / hard, so as it turned out, not suitable. If MC sell the stuff as wicking wool then it has to be an option, my only concern longer term use is that the Lanolin in wool is what makes it water repellent and does it absorb anything from the oil that tends to do the same thing. Just looking at some of the 60 year old cotton wicks on the machine and they still appear workable. Alan.

Back