What's new
What's new

Crashed the Z-axis on my Deckel FP1

jariou

Cast Iron
Hi guys, I need help. Last night, I crashed the Z-axis or my Deckel FP1 by going to the end of the down travel to get clearance for a tap handle. It is a Mk III model with the two dials for speeds and feeds.

The vertical table actually hit something that was under it and got stuck there. I did not realize that immediately. When I tried to use the powerfeed again, it did not respond. So at that time, I'm thinking "shear pin"! Ok, I can live with that. But when I tried to feed it by hand, the handle is very stiff and does not want to move at all. So at that point, I don't understand how that could be the case. I figured, if the shear pin broke, it means I am out of power feed but I should be able to move the table by hand. So, after making sure I was trying to move it in the right direction, I give up momentarily and go handle some others things.

When I got back to it, I realized that the vertical table is stuck on a 26" long 6" diameter aluminum tube that I had put on the base of the mill to act as garbage can for small things around the mill. I know, I know, not a great idea! I had verified that it did not rob me of much travel, but clearly, it did interfere and it was stuck there pretty tight. I was able to take it out of there by cutting it and prying it out of there.

I was hoping that once I got rid of that physical obstruction, things would get mostly back to normal except maybe for the shear pin. Not so, the vertical travel handle still won't go in any direction. I don't want to make things worse, so I am seeking counsel here. To be honest, I did not even look at the shear pin, but I assume I will have to change that. But really, I am not concerned about that, power feed is a convenience that is nice to have but you can operate without for a while, and I got an extra shear pin with the machine. No hand powered vertical feed is a problem however!

Any idea? Hint as to where to look first?

Jacques

What seems to happen is that the Z-axis carriage gets wedged against something and then binds.

First thing for you to do is to make sure that it is not stuck on any of the feed stops or the auto-travel knock-out.

Second is to unload the table a little bit and then hopefully the handle will move again. I've had to use a forklift to do this (yes, a royal pain) might be better to use some kind of slow jack.

My fp1 now has a 3d printed rubber buffer on the base of the Z-axis to keep it from getting wedged like that.

Thanks Peter, I like this.

Last night, I tried prying the table up and was able to rock the whole machine, but no joy, it stayed stuck. The plan was to use a jack tonight but I think I will take Peter's suggestion and see if I can loosen the gib and relieve the stress in the ways and in myself first! ;)

Jacques

Back