What's new
What's new

Deckel 16mm collets for early high speed head

Jcgrimes

Plastic
I have read all the threads I can find about how to find 16mm collets for my early high speed head. All I really need is something which could take a 1/4” end mill, so I think I could use a 6.5mm collet; is this a mistake?

The only supplier I can find is RCM, and of course, the 6.5mm collet is out of stock. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

The only supplier I can find is RCM, and of course, the 6.5mm collet is out of stock. Any ideas?

IMO the difference between 6.5mm and 1/4" (6.35mm) is too much to use them together.

I would use a 7mm collet, and make a thin spacer shell to use with it. Make the spacer from tool steel in a lathe, use a 1/4" reamer to make a clean high-quality hole, check that the hole is running concentric with a test indicator, then turn the outside to 7mm in a single pass with a sharp tool. Finally slot the spacer shell. You can either use a single slot full length or 3 shorter slots from each end, offset by 120 degrees from each other and 60 degrees from the opposite slot. Making ten of these shouldn't take long, and that should cover you for a while. If you glue the spacer to the 7mm collet with epoxy or cyanoacrylate that will help prevent it from being lost/misplaced.

Last edited:
Hi John, I also have the same high speed head but lucked upon some 16mm collets, the brand is Efem which were used by at least Alexander for their copy of the Deckel high speed head. Agree with ballen idea of sleeving, but would try and get a larger bore collet, say 3/8" - 1/2" or metric similar size to give the sleeve a thicker wall thickness and therefore easier to turn up and opens up to using more cutter sizes. Alan.

Attachments

• collet.jpg
    collet.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 27
What's the final word with what had been written in this other thread?

Is is a 16 x 1.2 thread, or the other exotic one mentioned in the old topic below?

My high-speed head has the small collets for sure but is an ALG-100 not a Deckel, I suppose I will have to measure myself.

Back