What's new
What's new

Deckel 2212 Real Stiffness in Gear Box!

Jon Leyden

Aluminum
Deckel 2212 Indexer ! This is also on the TDL (To DO List)!
I am having trouble in the inner Gear movement seems that it is Real, I Mean Real Stiff, and will barley turn by hand when in the free wheel mode and I will need to clean it and re-lube with some type of oil or grease! Just so I can get it so I can feel the Gears drop and mesh together.

(As of now it feels like its Caked with Hard lube that’s been in there way way to long)

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should be tempted to do? To get this Unit Cleaned up and working right?

Thanks ahead of time for and Ideas at all !
Jon Leyden
:typing: [email protected]

Last edited:
Jon:
Would guess that a disassembly , cleaning and reassembly is in order.
Of course first be sure the clamp for the spindle is off and free. It simply might be stuck.
The lock is a split two piece barrel with a circular cutout between the two sections. T through bolt pulls the halves together around the spindle making it tight. If the clamp parts are not free in their bore they may be pushing on the shaft making it hard to rotate.

The spindle on the dividing head is a plain bearing....that is a steel shaft running close to the bore in the iron housing. The front of the spindle is made with a tapered step going larger toward the front. This step is the thrust bearing, and again it bears on a seat machined into the iron body. It is possible to adjust the end thrust on the spindle tight enough to pull the taper into its seat hard and thereby resist rotation.

The end thrust is adjusted by the notched ring nut threaded on the rear of the spindle.
The adjustment is held by a grub screw through the ring nut.

If you back off the nut to see if it was adjusted too tight, you must also move the sleeves on the spindle to get the true sense of your adjustment.
Loosen the nut a bit and then lightly tap on the end of the spindle with a soft mallet...should feel the resistance lessen. Then take up the ring nut until the resistance just increases.
The spindle can be removed once the ring nut is removed, the worm is disengaged, and the spindle lock fully loosened.
The large protractor ring will come out to the rear. No need to remove the 4 allens on the face as they are just a method to clamp the protractor th the spindle. That protractor and clamp should come out to the rear on a key. Likely to be a good snug fit on the spindle, so you may need to fit a puller on two of the allens bolts on the face....be careful not to damage the spindle threads on the end.
Behind the protractor and its hub is the worm wheel. Also keyed to the shaft, and likely to be snug...
Believe you can just tap the end of the spindle and it will come out leaving the worm wheel and rear thrust washer behind. Be careful here if it moves then stops investigate..might be interference between the key for the worm wheel and the thrust washer or spindle bore...but i don't think so.
There is a cross sectional drawing in the spare parts book....

Head should be lubed with machine oil...AW46 is fine just like used in he gearboxes.

In this thread below i posted a solution to your angle dividing questions...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php/deckel-2212-166217.html

Cheers Ross

Jon:
Would guess that a disassembly , cleaning and reassembly is in order.
Of course first be sure the clamp for the spindle is off and free. It simply might be stuck.
The lock is a split two piece barrel with a circular cutout between the two sections. T through bolt pulls the halves together around the spindle making it tight. If the clamp parts are not free in their bore they may be pushing on the shaft making it hard to rotate.

The spindle on the dividing head is a plain bearing....that is a steel shaft running close to the bore in the iron housing. The front of the spindle is made with a tapered step going larger toward the front. This step is the thrust bearing, and again it bears on a seat machined into the iron body. It is possible to adjust the end thrust on the spindle tight enough to pull the taper into its seat hard and thereby resist rotation.

The end thrust is adjusted by the notched ring nut threaded on the rear of the spindle.
The adjustment is held by a grub screw through the ring nut.

If you back off the nut to see if it was adjusted too tight, you must also move the sleeves on the spindle to get the true sense of your adjustment.
Loosen the nut a bit and then lightly tap on the end of the spindle with a soft mallet...should feel the resistance lessen. Then take up the ring nut until the resistance just increases.
The spindle can be removed once the ring nut is removed, the worm is disengaged, and the spindle lock fully loosened.
The large protractor ring will come out to the rear. No need to remove the 4 allens on the face as they are just a method to clamp the protractor th the spindle. That protractor and clamp should come out to the rear on a key. Likely to be a good snug fit on the spindle, so you may need to fit a puller on two of the allens bolts on the face....be careful not to damage the spindle threads on the end.
Behind the protractor and its hub is the worm wheel. Also keyed to the shaft, and likely to be snug...
Believe you can just tap the end of the spindle and it will come out leaving the worm wheel and rear thrust washer behind. Be careful here if it moves then stops investigate..might be interference between the key for the worm wheel and the thrust washer or spindle bore...but i don't think so.
There is a cross sectional drawing in the spare parts book....

Head should be lubed with machine oil...AW46 is fine just like used in he gearboxes.

In this thread below i posted a solution to your angle dividing questions...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php

Cheers Ross

Dear Ross,

I am a newbie and would like to ask for suggestion about a problem with the dividing head of my Deckel FP1 milling machine. Since I do not have any group address, I would like to know if there is any way to address my question to the forum members, so that I could get suggestion by the more experienced forum members.
Here the problem :

The main shaft of the dividing head is blocked, I purchased the milling machine and the indexing head, but the head does not rotate - I already disassembled the worm screw and the related gear - now I can see the back thrust bearing. The spindle should theoretically be free to move (locking nut released), but no way, even the rotation is impossible, I tried with a lever engaged to the mandrel, but no way - If anybody would have a suggestion on how to unlock the spindle, I would really appreciate. Thanks ! Mauro Pitton

Back