What's new
What's new

Deckel 380mm Rotary Table Oil Servicing

Degull

Aluminum
Hi everyone. I bought a Deckel rotary table at auction without inspection for $150. The table rotates freely and it seems pretty solid without play in any direction. It is dirty and needs a good cleaning. The rotary table has an oil sight glass and it is empty.

There are two screw on the top. I removed the screws and tried to add oil but it overflows immediately and no oil is present at the sight glass. It is not accepting any oil.

Before I start tearing it apart to look for blocked oil passages, is there something I am missing in the servicing?

The two screws work as follows:
The outer one feeds oil on top of the worm wheel to get oil to the inner two faces of the table support bearings (flat sliding surfaces)
Oil applied at that hole will not really fill the lower sump (sight glass)
The inner screw is drilled into the top of one of the retaining bolts for the quick indexing ring (plunger)
That bolt is special and drilled through to allow oil entry to the lower sump.
If someone has had the table apart and not reassembled with the drilled bolt in the proper location, the oil will not be able to get to the sump....
The bolt hole is approx .160" in dia. so you could test to see if the hole is there and open by testing with a small diameter stiff wire (gas/tig welding rod perhaps)

Might be able to clear the hole if its plugged....or verify that it is even there.....

To remove the table top, remove the clamp ring with lever and screw from the center bottom of the table, then disconnect the worm from the worm wheel by loosening the clamp and rotating the
worm housing (front flange) approx 90* to the right (hand wheel should freewheel) ...then you can lift the table straight up.

Cheers Ross

There is no hole under the inner screw, it is solid. I suspect you are correct and I will need to dig deeper. Thanks for clear instructions on how get it apart. I'll post what I find.

CFF22D1C-4542-4C34-AC9C-DC229D08B338.jpg
If someone has had the table apart and not reassembled with the drilled bolt in the proper location, the oil will not be able to get to the sump....
The bolt hole is approx .160" in dia. so you could test to see if the hole is there and open by testing with a small diameter stiff wire (gas/tig welding rod perhaps)

Cheers Ross

Exactly right!! The socket head cap screw with the hole in it was in the wrong location. Taking it apart was exactly as you described and it came apart easily. Good thing I had to take it apart, it was full rust colored gunk inside. I'm going to clean it as best I can and put back together. Thanks again!!

Fernando

Back