What's new
What's new

Deckel 40 Taper drill chuck question

dgcope

Cast Iron
Howdy All,

I've got a Deckel SK40 (40 Taper S20x2) drill chuck holder with a Rohm Spriro chuck. The chuck is toast, so I'd like to replace it and save the nice holder. The trouble is, I can't identify the drill chuck shank. It's not like anything I've seen before. 20mm Diameter with a drive pin and M10 threads (the holder has a draw bolt). Anyone ever seen one like this? Surely it's not proprietary?

Alternatively, can you please suggest straightforward strategies to fit a chuck to this holder?

Many thanks!

Donald

Attachments

• IMG_5078.jpg
    IMG_5078.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 249
Three years later and I've still never managed to identify this connection. It's vaguely like a Komet ABS but no cigar. Please, has anyone ever seen a connection like this?

Anyone have a clue?

I'm a newby with milling machines, which is why I've spent a LOT of time searching for tools and holders on German ebay lately.

I missed an unused Rohm chuck, but bought 2 used ones on INT40 cone holders.

The chucks seem to come attached to the holders. In my travels, I don't recall seeing anything like your pictures.

So I think it is a proprietary fitting. Those Rohm chucks are expensive, the cones are not.

Nice. It's too bad about Brexit. Yes, those look like chucks on shanks (maybe morse taper? Straight?). The arrangement I have is much shorter...which is very handy and part of the reason I hoped to revive it.

Here is my solution for chuck mounting for your Deckel......
If using a 0-1/2" capacity chuck really no need to bother with the integral 40 taper shank....
Its bulky, and uses up valuable head room.....

Purchase a straight shank arbor for your choice of chuck....Generally these will be one of the "Jackobs" tapers (J2 or J33 i believe) to mate to your chuck female socket.
Get the arbor in a convenient larger size straight...I use 3/4" You Euro guys, maybe 19 or 20mm.....

Cut the length down some to keep everything short and then just grip the chuck in your direct mount 40 taper collet.....
For up to 1/2" this setup will be plenty strong...Have been running my FP3 this way for years with no issues....Makes for a very short setup, quick to change etc...
Cheers Ross

rohm chuck mounting detail.jpg

Here's a picture with better detail; I can't tell what sort of shank it has without dismantling, but it's too short for a morse taper I think.
There is no screw through either end, so it may be pressed.
Or the smaller knurled ring might release it somehow; the gap is quite narrow so it's hard to find a tool to get in there. Both the large outer and small inner knurled rings turn with the 40 cone.

Almost all drill chucks have standardized to use the "JT" as in Jackobs Taper to mount arbors or tool holders....
They come in various sizes .....JT1, JT3, JT6 and JT33.........................................

Of course there is no telling what that chuck might have or if its standard....

Also there are wedges that can be had that will remove a chuck from its taper, used in pairs and sized to fit the size taper on the chuck...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...3c13c7e4544168d34fe5c03a4932565&ul_noapp=true

Cheers Ross

Almost all drill chucks have standardized to use the "JT" as in Jackobs Taper to mount arbors or tool holders....
They come in various sizes .....JT1, JT3, JT6 and JT33.........................................

Of course there is no telling what that chuck might have or if its standard....

Also there are wedges that can be had that will remove a chuck from its taper, used in pairs and sized to fit the size taper on the chuck...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...3c13c7e4544168d34fe5c03a4932565&ul_noapp=true

Cheers Ross

We have a lot B* tapered chucks as well Ross, at least in Europe. B12-B16 most commonly.

BR,
Thanos

Yesterday I mounted the chucks pictured in my post above on my mill for the first time.
It turns out one of them is fatally bent (the other is ok).
So I took the chuck off the arbor; I just clamped the arbor in a bench vice and gave the drill chuck a twist with a pipe wrench.

this chuck appears to be mounted on a standard taper; if someone can tell me what it's called I'd be thankful, as I'd like to get an MT2 adaptor to use it in my drill press.

Rohm chuck and iso40 arbor.jpg

Yesterday I mounted the chucks pictured in my post above on my mill for the first time.
It turns out one of them is fatally bent (the other is ok).
So I took the chuck off the arbor; I just clamped the arbor in a bench vice and gave the drill chuck a twist with a pipe wrench.

this chuck appears to be mounted on a standard taper; if someone can tell me what it's called I'd be thankful, as I'd like to get an MT2 adaptor to use it in my drill press.

View attachment 324515

It seems like a B16 taper (matches the MT2 angle). Check here and you'll, most probably, find your taper: Drill Chucks

BR,
Thanos

Hi Mark,

Thanos is correct. It is almost certainly a B16 or B18 taper (DIN 238). B Tapers have the same slope as Morse tapers, so if you have some old or damaged Morse taper arbors, you can cut them up for test guages. Scroll down to B tapers on this Wiki page:

Machine taper - Wikipedia

Kind Regards,

Don

How odd, I would have expected a B taper in Europe. But these machine parts move all over the world in unexplainable ways. I'll happily post you an arbor if you like. It's not likely to cost very much. MT2>JT6 is very common here.

I got these chucks from the UK; but now that they've left the EU, anything ordered from there gets stuck in customs.

Thanks for your very kind offer, but it's the same from the US. Items need customs clearance and they want paperwork that often doesn't exist. Its a mess.

I ordered the arbor from Amazon, it's sourced in China but Amazon works in mysterious ways so maybe it will get here.

Back