What's new
What's new

Deckel Accessories and Their Use

Nigel Tudor

Plastic
I thought I would start a thread to discuss Deckel tools & accessories and their proper use.

I have been collecting tooling for my mill and have picked up two of these centers that have an 89° included angle.

SK40-89-degree-center.jpg

Since I have gotten this tool in two separate lots of tooling, Deckel must have had some intended use for it. Does anyone know how Deckel thought it should be used?

For reference here is the 60° SK40 center for the dividing head and spiral milling attachment.

Deckel-index-center.jpg

Thanks,
Nigel

I do not understand the big drive lug clamp thing. Is that part of a drive for the part? Like a lathe dog used for turning between centers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ballen,
Yes it is for a dog.

Have the same with my spiral attachment.

Greetings,

Peter

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Bruce,

Yes, it is for a bent leg dog like you would use for turning between centers on the lathe. There are set screws so you can clamp the dog and remove play. You would use this center in the dividing head when you are working between centers. You would also use this center when you want to be able to remove the part for inspection during machining but need to be able to replace it accurately for finish machining. Franz has several different versions of this 60° center, search teilkopfspitze in his store.

In looking for the teilkopfspitze in Franz's store, I did find the first center which he calls a Zentrierspitze (Centering center in English?). I hadn't seen it before but still don't know how it is used. The 89° included angle is odd. Perhaps if you are talking to him sometime you could ask him what this center is for.

Thanks,
Nigel

Tien,

I was thinking along the same lines as you, quickly setting up a part with a hole at a specific location or centering a hole on the axis of rotation of the dividing head or rotary table.

I was hoping someone would know how Deckel intended it to be used. For instance, some of the intended uses of Moore jig borer tooling isn't obvious at first glance.

Thanks,
Nigel

OK, in the spirit of this thread, here is another strange accessory.

First, some background. I have a Deckel FP2 with an SK40 taper. But it came with a number of accessories whose origin was an earlier FP1 with an MT4 taper. Among these was a full MT4 dividing head (with a threaded spindle) which I am now slowly replacing with an SK40 dividing head and bits.

One of these MT4 dividing head items is pictured below. (If you want to add this to your collection, it's for sale, contact me!)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It is about 6 inches in diameter, and has a very nice mechanism with a sliding brass threaded part which positively clamps to the MT4 threaded spindle of the dividing head.

Has anyone seen one of these before? I think it is intended to mount a "normal" machine vise. Maybe the hole pattern matches (for example) a Hilma 100mm (4") wide hydraulic machine vise. It is stamped with a serial number, which makes me think that it is not a 1-off or custom part. But I have never seen another one either in person, in photos, or in a Deckel manual.

For the record, the four holes are 76 x 102mm on center, threaded M12.

Cheers,
Bruce

Last edited:
HI think both of them might be part of the " Compound chuck" set up used for punch and die work.

You're thinking of the "punch milling attachment" compound slide. That's a different part than the one I am showing. The punch milling attachment has an integral slide built in for offsetting a chuck.

Ok I found the first attachment with the 89° cone in the Deckel "Tool and Accessories" brochure and it is indeed for the coarse centering of holes and bores.
No mystery here.

Nothing much to base my opinion on other than some details, but i believe that the "face plate" threaded adapter is indeed shop built.
Serial number not withstanding, lots of corporations mark and number tooling for inventory and referencing the fixture to a process or job...

Think if Deckel it would have had a part number in addition to a serial number.

Clamping setup seems the way a shop would have built a retention setup, that "Allen" sticking proud of the part looks out of place.
More likely a factory part would have been a casting incorporating lugs and a split clamping setup to lock the plate to the spindle.(cross bolt to pinch the threads closed)
That clamp mechanism is overly complex ($) for the function it must preform...
Can't tell from the photos, but wonder if the reference surfaces are turned or ground? Is the part heat treated?
Is it steel or iron?

Of course all this is speculation, until some clever researcher produces a factory photo from a brochure.....But for now i am going with a purpose built adapter not made by Deckel.

Cheers Ross

Back