What's new
What's new

Deckel Accessory Management

drcoelho

Stainless
Finished the first of two storage cabinets for my Deckel accessories, this cabinet mostly holds the larger tables. A future post will show the second cabinet for storing the various milling heads.

My solution is built around these key features:
- bridge crane which provides coverage for the entire room
- slide-out shelves which provide vertical access to each accessory
- t-slot inserts to allow for top attachment of hoist straps

Here is photo of overall storage cabinet:
IMG_20200723_172743.jpg

Here is top shelf open showing the spiral machining attachment and the swivelling fixed table:
IMG_20200723_173233.jpg

Here is middle shelf open showing the indexing head with counter-support and the horizontal over-arm:
IMG_20200723_173210.jpg

Here is the bottom shelf open showing the swivelling turntable with indexing attachment and the placed rotary:
IMG_20200723_173135.jpg

Here is the bridge crane in action:
IMG_20200723_160439.jpg

Bridge crane can be moved directly over the Deckel to allow for very convenient install of any of these accessories.

That looks really nice, I am envious of your bridge crane! I like the T-slot insert, will make one for myself. I normally use eye bolts into T-nuts, but always worry about them unscrewing. If you add removable "stops" to the end of your T bar then that is no longer a worry.

PS: if you have a collection of heads (slotting, high speed, etc) you might want to add lifting eyes to them.

That looks really nice, I am envious of your bridge crane! I like the T-slot insert, will make one for myself. I normally use eye bolts into T-nuts, but always worry about them unscrewing. If you add removable "stops" to the end of your T bar then that is no longer a worry.

PS: if you have a collection of heads (slotting, high speed, etc) you might want to add lifting eyes to them.

Yes, was thinking of adding lifting eyes to my various milling heads.

Nice neat setup. Space looks sort of tight . Are there any windows in that space? How do you ventilate it?

Those flat table faces are a perfect surface for this lifting setup.....Work on a lathe chuck as well.
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...MI1_rBiZjm6gIVzz2tBh0XzgOTEAQYAyABEgJ1UfD_BwE

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Ross

Ross,

Space is tight, but very well thought out, every little nook and cranny filled with something but also lots of thought given to material flow.

Windows unfortunately is a luxury I don't have....ventilation is no problem, good air flow possible through the shop and I'm using HEPA air filters.

I have been considering use of the magnets, thx for the suggestion.

Nice cabinet Are you on a boat that your cabinet hasto be strapped to the wall If I make dedicated lifting devices I make sure it has one single lifting eye So I do not have to use a sling
Peter

Nice cabinet Are you on a boat that your cabinet hasto be strapped to the wall If I make dedicated lifting devices I make sure it has one single lifting eye So I do not have to use a sling
Peter

I designed the cabinets to have minimal depth so I don't lose floor space in my small room. The risk is that when I pull out one of the shelves it'll cause the cabinet to fall forward, especially if there isn't other stuff already in the cabinet. The straps hold the cabinet against the wall no matter how much weight is placed on an open shelf. Imagine the cabinet weighing maybe 100lb and having a shelf open with 500lb on it...that's the problem I'm addressing. All of my efforts are all about saving floor space...the cabinet design, the crane design, etc...all about saving space.

Peter

Regarding lifting eyes, the accessories that would most benefit from this in my case would be:
- vertical head
- high-speed head
Don't see an issue installing eye in the high-speed head...I'm a little concerned about the vertical head because it has gearing inside the sled....any experience with drilling into the sled on this accessory?

I also have the fine boring head and the fine grinding head, but I believe these already have factory lifting eyes installed.

I designed the cabinets to have minimal depth so I don't lose floor space in my small room. The risk is that when I pull out one of the shelves it'll cause the cabinet to fall forward, especially if there isn't other stuff already in the cabinet. The straps hold the cabinet against the wall no matter how much weight is placed on an open shelf. Imagine the cabinet weighing maybe 100lb and having a shelf open with 500lb on it...that's the problem I'm addressing. All of my efforts are all about saving floor space...the cabinet design, the crane design, etc...all about saving space.

Also, another main point, EVERYTHING in my shop is on wheels, again because space is so important, so the cabinet is on wheels and is not screwed into the wall as one might normally do with a fixed cabinet.

Regarding lifting eyes, the accessories that would most benefit from this in my case would be:
- vertical head
- high-speed head
Don't see an issue installing eye in the high-speed head...I'm a little concerned about the vertical head because it has gearing inside the sled....any experience with drilling into the sled on this accessory?

I also have the fine boring head and the fine grinding head, but I believe these already have factory lifting eyes installed.

I never would drill a hole for a lifting eye The idea is that I make a lifting device .rigid if possible, that has a single lifting eye big enough for the crane hook to pass in a position that it lifts the table perfectly horizontal At best a single piece No seperate slings or anyrthing

Peter

I never would drill a hole for a lifting eye The idea is that I make a lifting device .rigid if possible, that has a single lifting eye big enough for the crane hook to pass in a position that it lifts the table perfectly horizontal At best a single piece No seperate slings or anyrthing

Peter

Can you show a picture of such a device, VERY interested in how you solve this problem!

Last one I made was with my last employer But for the turntable a possibility is to mill 2 slots in the side of a rougly 20x100mm of aluminium so that it can slide in the middle T slot The COG I estemate somewhere in the direction of the handwheel With some experimental stockwithaslot boltet to the top you can then find the exact lifting point Then bolt on apiece of flat with a big enough eye for your hook To position the lifting device in the slot you could use a piece of round that drops in the T slot at 90 dgr That slides in a piece welded or bolted to the side of the big alu T nut
I cannot make a drawing now I hope it is somewhat clear
Peter

Last one I made was with my last employer But for the turntable a possibility is to mill 2 slots in the side of a rougly 20x100mm of aluminium so that it can slide in the middle T slot The COG I estemate somewhere in the direction of the handwheel With some experimental stockwithaslot boltet to the top you can then find the exact lifting point Then bolt on apiece of flat with a big enough eye for your hook To position the lifting device in the slot you could use a piece of round that drops in the T slot at 90 dgr That slides in a piece welded or bolted to the side of the big alu T nut
I cannot make a drawing now I hope it is somewhat clear
Peter

I already did that, see my post #2 in this thread.

I'm asking how one handles the machine heads, e.g. vertical milling head, without drilling a hole for a lifting eye, some kind of sling, but what have people done?

I'm asking how one handles the machine heads, e.g. vertical milling head, without drilling a hole for a lifting eye, some kind of sling, but what have people done?

This is an academic question then.....Isn't your machine made after a late Deckel design? As such the vertical head never leaves the machine. Other accessories like the precision boring head (which has a lifting point)
fit in front of the vertical head when pushed to the rear on the "Y" slide....The high speed head and corner milling heads likewise fit up on the machine without having to remove the vertical.

Cheers Ross

This is an academic question then.....Isn't your machine made after a late Deckel design? As such the vertical head never leaves the machine. Other accessories like the precision boring head (which has a lifting point)
fit in front of the vertical head when pushed to the rear on the "Y" slide....The high speed head and corner milling heads likewise fit up on the machine without having to remove the vertical.

Cheers Ross

I'm not certain about this, checkout this photo from FPS showing the high-speed milling head, they clearly removed the vertical milling head:

DSCN2497.jpg

Note also that they removed the vertical head to do horizontal milling:

DSCN2505.jpg

I'm now thinking I might create some kind of bracket that attaches on both sides of the vertical milling head that has low profile with hoist ring but also doesn't interfere with the underlying dovetail track below. This would allow for easy slide off top of machine while having safety of hoist handling weight, and also allow me to store it easily on my soon to be built cabinet which I intend on having Delrin dovetail mounts in which the various milling heads will slide into. Maybe even use your magnet idea!!

Beeing able to fit almost any of the accessory head without having to take the regular milling head off the machine is one of the big pluses later machines offer over the older design.

Doesn't work with the older high speed heads though (untill you chop the rear end of the ram off, that is).

I think in that case, FPS pictures are intended to show various accessories much more than to depict actual use of the machine.

As for me, a small lifting sling is all it takes to manage the heads. No hole to be drilled, no lifting eye, no brainer.

Beeing able to fit almost any of the accessory head without having to take the regular milling head off the machine is one of the big pluses later machines offer over the older design.

Doesn't work with the older high speed heads though (untill you chop the rear end of the ram off, that is).

I think in that case, FPS pictures are intended to show various accessories much more than to depict actual use of the machine.

As for me, a small lifting sling is all it takes to manage the heads. No hole to be drilled, no lifting eye, no brainer.

Chopping the sled a bit shorter for high-speed head might well be the way to go....hadn't considered that. I have greater concern regarding the horizontal over-arm, need to fiddle with that a bit and see if it'll work with the arbors I have without removing the vertical head.

Back