What's new
What's new

Horizontal spindle heats

Maxime

Plastic
Hi all,
When I run my deckel FP1 at top speed, after about 5 minutes the horizontal spindle gets very hot ( can barely keep my hand on it ) What can it be due too ?
Lack of lub ? The oil window is ok, could it be a blocked oil runner, too thick oil, ???
Any ideas ? Thanks

Rather than lack of oil or grease, I'd equally suspect too much oil or grease. Churning of grease or oil, especially in needle bearings, can make lots of heat. On the other hand, if you can still keep your hand on, even if barely, it's not that hot for most bearings and lubricants, so everything may be OK. When is the last time the spindle was apart for a checkup?

Never took the spindle appart for check up ( maybe I should have... )
I usualy use my high speed head for high rpm, so never really had to run the top speed for a while, so didn't realise the spindle was getting hot.
If anyone has procedure to undo the horizontal spindle and any specific point to look at, I would appreciate.
Thanks, Maxime

Measure the temperature of the bearings - 60C is not too hot for bearing (more like normal), thats 158F. You cant keep your hand on it.

Maxime:
First off if that machine has the lever shift it well might have bronze plain bushing spindle bearings.

These are subject to the type of lubrication that is being used. By the tenor of your post i would guess that you are not sure what type of oil or its weight that is in the main gearbox. (supplies oil to the spindle through splash and catch points) The main spindle bushing is tapered and adjusted by a threaded ring at the rear of the assembly, and a spacing ring. As the adjusting nut is tightened the tapered spindle is drawn into the taper of the bushing and to a shoulder that sets the end float.
Your spindle might be too tight to run extended at max RPM....It is possible with that design to have good or too much clearance on the spindle OD and have the end float too tight.
Perhaps the wicks that feed the oil are dirty and preventing the oil from properly reaching the spindle.
Perhaps your oil is too thick or the wrong type to give the lube required for that bushing.
You need to purchase the DVD from Wrench so you can see what is inside that spindle assembly, then be prepared to remove , clean inspect and adjust it.
Also you should purchase and change to the proper oil in the main gearbox.

Some thermal rise in the spindle would be normal in a friction bearing
running at 2000 RPM. It is all a matter of how much is OK.....I would be worried if it was much too hot to touch by hand....But likewise i would be worried if it ran stone cold as well.

Cheers Ross

Back