What's new
What's new

Deckel conduit and Cable housing

legoboy

Hot Rolled
I am commissioning a deckel indexing head for my fp4nc and wanted to replace the cable armor, does any one have a name of a supplier? Also would like to change the big conduit at some point as well if any one has a lead for that as well,
Thank you for you time.

There are at least two different styles of conduit used on the FP-NC's.
Early versions that have the "camel back" vertical head setup use a silver colored conduit.
This seems to be not as durable as the later version that came fitted with the "flip head" machines.

Aside from the earlier stuff getting stiff and breaking ,it also has a different attachment system.
The later conduit is secured at its ends using clamping rings that engage the grooves in the conduit OD.
Earlier versions has less finished band clamps on the conduit OD to secure it in place.

My early FP4NC has the crappy early conduit and when i got the machine (93') the conduit to the "X" axis had already failed (broken) at mid length (lowest part of the curve)
Bought a replacement conduit from FPS in Germany and they supplied the later style conduit.
Somewhat different in size to the original (OD) so it would not fit up to the original end terminations...FPS supplied adapters that took care of the issue.

Replacing that conduit required pulling the individual pins from the connectors at the servo end of the cabling to allow the cables to be pulled out and into the new conduit....
Took a bit of work but the new conduit is better. Also gave me confidence to pull all the cables out of an FP2NC and swap it over to another machine when i swapped a retro fit control...
FUN......

attachment.php

I am sure that there are a number of companies that make conduit that could work....even some i would bet that is split and will not require pulling the cables out to replace it....

Cheers Ross

PMA fix and MurrPlastik are two makers. IGUS in the US sells PMA by the foot.
Might want to triple check the fitting sizes, my NCT500 has some obsolete threads on the table ports- they are Panzergewinde/PG as mentioned by sigurasg in the post below.

Last edited:
When I replaced the conduit from the electrical cabinet to my Deckel FP2, a member here pointed me to Panzergewinde. The fittings on my 1966 FP2 and the fittings on the new conduit I bought were both this (oddball?) thread. I could find no mention of the treads on the fittings in the manufacturers specifications. I didn't know enough then to buy the right size conduit, so I ended up with a larger size that I had to adapt.

I betcha if you bring one of these fittings to any reasonable size electrical supplier, they'll be able to match them with new fittings with the same thread and a conduit to fit.

Panzergewinde aka PG was the norm here in Europe till about 30 years ago
Here we can still order PG glands locknuts fittings and such
I have them in stock as that is what is used on the machines I buy/sell

Peter

Back