Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    Sorry, wrote that after you offered the Heidenhain single DRO box for sale....i wanted to know what model the Heidenhain single display DRO box was.....
    Oh right..can't remember model but it looks like the one below. As I recall it will read to insane number of decimal points...like millioniths maybe...like new condition. Probably overkill for your purpose...I think it's really meant for a precision grinder or ultra precision rotary indexer like in the picture.

When I said maybe you have a surprise for us I was thinking maybe you went hog wild and are retofitting the below

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I asked because Heidenhain boxes that will read angles are a bit rare. Not all will as i have discovered.
    As to the retro fit..nope no real surprises. The machine that needs the 4th axis is the "Aktive" FP2, with the TNC 113. I want to keep that one stock and peroid original.
    Cheers Ross

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never quite understood the advantage of the Heidenhain resolver versus a phase quadrature for the "normal" use case. It just seems like it is a lot of extra work and could lead to jitter, etc. For stuff that is super accurate that is a different matter. In that scenario the resolvers make perfect sense.... This leads to the question of whether or not Heidenhain is still using resolvers for their current run of the mill (and CNC) type scales?

Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Aktive" FP2, with the TNC 113. I want to keep that one stock and peroid original.
    Been there, done that.... but when one of my 113 DRO's broke I was tempted to retrofit the machine with the control shown as that was the next evolution of the "electronic stop dog" situation and the only one Heidenhain would still service. Plus you have the ability to have all 4 axis values neatly integrated into one screen instead of that "sloppy" extra box plopped on top

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D:
    Thought the Positip DRO's could make or control to a set point with added hardware. Is this true, or not?
    I have a very nice Positip 850 that i could use if it can do this....(should the 113 cack).
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D:
    Thought the Positip DRO's could make or control to a set point with added hardware. Is this true, or not?
    I have a very nice Positip 850 that i could use if it can do this....(should the 113 cack).
    I recall looking into that at the time and my impression was that the Positip could indeed function as electronic limit switch, but I vaguely recall some questions with the ramp up and ramp down aspects. In other words, with the Positip you can configue it to produce open/close signals at set numeric values, but unless you can also program a feed rate ramp down just before it reaches that value/position, there could be overshoot issues. I also recall it being devilishly difficult to actually get answers on how to "do it" all...seems there was only "one guy" in the whole Heidenhain orgaization that knew much on the nitty gritty of those things.

As you may recall, thanks to Don UK reverse engineering his 113, the offending IC was isolated so luckily my retrofit quest became a moot point and I never did talk with "the one guy" at Heidenhain.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ross... If your 113 ever dies give me a call. As I recall, it is a pretty simple 8085 based design. It shouldn't be too difficult to repair (eek! what have I said!)

Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D- Not to get totally off topic here, but what's the story on the Jacobsen in the background- surface grinder?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
    D- Not to get totally off topic here, but what's the story on the Jacobsen in the background- surface grinder?
    8x24 surface grinder made in Denmark, power all axis, auto dresser, Walker electro chuck, original paint/excellent/clean condition. Parts available from Clausing if ever needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    . There is an extra recepticle on the outside of the electrical box and an extra encoder cable in the box ready to hook it all up.... I'll try and remember to do so tomorrrow, as now I'm curious too.
    Finally got around to this and discover that the extra recepticle doesn't quite fit the plug on the universal table. So now I'm wondering if I should just cut the plug and rig a new plug that mates it directly to the extra 9 pin recepticle at the scale module in the CPU rack.

One mystery in that regard is there are 10 wires from the encoder. All the wire colors from the encoder match the colors at the recepticle except that extra wire, which is lavender color.

Ross, since you've been "in there" and seen the encoder up close and personal, do you have a model no. and/or specs on the ROD of the universal table ? And does your universal table connected to FP4NC require the seperate interpolation box ?

(btw, the 1 axis Heidenhain DRO I have for sale is a model ND221)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D:
    ND221 Heidenhain counter only for linear measurment. Will not do angles according to the documentation.

The rotary encoder for the universal table is the "9000" family of encoder. At least that is what the one in my FP4NC is.

It requires a converter box (EXE 610) to be in line between the encoder and the NZP axis board on a Dialog 4 control. (believe this is the also true of Dialog 2 and Dialog3)
    The encoder on the FP2 should be able to be coupled directly to the correct family of Heidenhain counters...VRZ 560 or VRZ 460 , VRZ 166 once the correct peramiters have been set on the box.

Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The rotary encoder for the universal table is the "9000" family of encoder. At least that is what the one in my FP4NC is.

It requires a converter box (EXE 610) to be in line between the encoder and the NZP axis board on a Dialog 4 control. (believe this is the also true of Dialog 2 and Dialog3)
    Hmmm...so now the cringer is I don't know if the D11 needs the EXE 610 or not...but I'll bet it does need it.

What is maddening is the FP2NC, Dialog 2 that my universal table came from should have an EXE 610.. but it doesn't. Either someone removed it (unlikely) or the table was added later and previous owner didn't care about the encoder function and never installed one.

(does it have to be exe 610 ? I notice identical looking boxes on ebay with slightly different part numbers... like exe 612... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D:
    Did the FP2NC have 4 axis cards in the control or only 3...if it did not have the additional axis card the chances are that it never was setup to use the rotary encoder display on screen.
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did the FP2NC have 4 axis cards in the control or only 3...if it did not have the additional axis card the chances are that it never was setup to use the rotary encoder display on screen.
    Good point...I'll look... It does have the proper connector (and wiring) for the universal table below the X axis servo. Were all of the FPNC series "plumbed" to receive all the C axis tables as standard issue ? I notice the recepticle has 19 wires, when only 9 or 10 are needed for this table. I presume the other wires were in there for motorized C axis tables....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D:
    I believe all teh "NC" family machines has the 4th axis wired and plumbed.
    On my machine the connector from the table has 12 pins on the table side of the connector. The factory wired cable that goes to the EXE610 has the standard Heidenhain 9 pin connector where it fits to the EXE...
    The EXE 610 output is a cable with the Dialog right angle connector on the end to hook to the axis card (NZP)

Have nor had occasion to look fuarther into any of this as it all just worked out of the box. (i bought my uni table later) , my machine was originally fitted with a uni table, but it was removed when i bought the machine from Deckel. (Ferrostal)
    Cheers Ross

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I downloaded the specs for the 6xx line awhile ago. I recall that it was a little work trying to find them but not terrible. I may have the docs around still (had a computer crash without a really good backup.... ) I think that the difference between the 610 and 612 was nominal. I ended up buying one of them as a spare for the 3M control, which uses one of them (not sure which)...

--Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like I don't have the only FP2A/D11 machine on the planet with "TFT" monitor. He seems to have just plopped the display behind the original "tunnel" somehow...photo is so crappy hard to tell, but looks like he made a lame attempt at sawing it flat back there...which, as you can tell from one photo, is pretty much impossible due to the confuence of angles, and contours to match the original CRT tube.

http://cgi.ebay.de/CNC-Fraesmaschine...3A1%7C294%3A50

Should I email him photos of mine to how how it "should" be done ?

(what the heck is that "Euro Standard" label on the splash guard all about ?? )

Country
    SLOVENIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi guys. I`m reading this post arond 10 years later...

@Milacron that`s an awesome job. Do you mind if i ask you about Pinout diagram for the screen?

We have an oldie FP3 with Dialog 11 and it beats new Haas CNC Milling centres in many ways... But, screen just went out these days and i`d be glad if you can share any info. about wiring / Pinout diagram..?

Or anyone else?

Regards,

Luka

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Two years later, I finally got around to making a proper face/mount for the LCD monitor on the D11. Previously I had a standard computer monitor plopped behind the original face...but the original face was a sort of "tunnel" shape that was very difficult to match with satisfactory results. So I ended up taking the monitor apart and extracting just the screen itself and then making a whole nuther face. The only thing that remains from the original is the trim that runs along the outer edge....I had to bandsaw that out.

1/8 inch glass in front of the LCD is more reflective than I would like, but the images are perfectly clear anyway.