What's new
What's new

Deckel Fine Boring Head missing part

drcoelho

Stainless
I believe I'm missing a part on my Fine Boring Head, see these photos...it seems there should be a knob to lock down the height setting rod. If someone has one of these heads, could you provide a photo of the missing part, ideally with it removed so I can see how it is shaped?

IMG_20210429_164823.jpgIMG_20210429_164833.jpg

perhaps an 1100 or 1200 family steel....But if push came to shove i would choose a pre hard 4140/4142 steel...(Rc 28-30)
Machines well, will be strong and all...Be a bit rough getting a good knurl on that material due to its hardness, but if you use cut knurling dies it
should give good results....
Cheers Ross

perhaps an 1100 or 1200 family steel....But if push came to shove i would choose a pre hard 4140/4142 steel...(Rc 28-30)
Machines well, will be strong and all...Be a bit rough getting a good knurl on that material due to its hardness, but if you use cut knurling dies it
should give good results....
Cheers Ross

Ross, thx as usual for your fine advice.

Personally on a part like that I would use free-machining steel, which in the US system is 1211/1212/1213. It's easy to get a really nice finish, and on the knurling as well. That part is never going to be under much stress, you are tightening it with finger pressure.

You could cut a piece of hotdog off, stick it on the shaft and give it about 2 weeks.

Thing will be hard as concrete and pre-threaded :D

Yes, but it would destroy the Deckel aesthetics and violate german safety standards.....plus I'd get hungry every time I use the machine ;)

Personally on a part like that I would use free-machining steel, which in the US system is 1211/1212/1213. It's easy to get a really nice finish, and on the knurling as well. That part is never going to be under much stress, you are tightening it with finger pressure.

Hey Bruce,

I think you might reconsider when you get a bigger lathe... Can't beat finish on pre-hard if you have the horsepower to cut it.

BR,
Thanos

Back