What's new
What's new

Deckel FP-1 slotting head, best way to clamp a tool bit?

laminar-flow

Stainless
The Deckel slotting head has a tool bit clamping arrangement that I find difficult to use. The tool bits drift off to the side when cutting and the tool bends a bit when the clamp is tightened. Has anyone else found a solution to working with this FP-1 slotting head tool clamping arrangement?

I've used my slotting head quite a bit and never had any issues. My normal tool shanks are rectangular, about 15 x 16mm as I recall. Could you post a photo of your tool?

The clamping arrangement is a shaft with a rectangular hole, that is pulled forward with a clamping nut. Is it possible that the shaft has burrs around the rectangular opening, and so the clamping force is pulling on those burrs rather than on the tool? You can easily tap out the clamp and plug with a copper or brass hammer, and go over it with a stone or file if needed.

You want the length of your holder or tool to be long enough to completely pass through the clamp so that the shank of the tool is working in double shear.
If clamped short , you will only apply clamping force to the lower side of the clamp and that will make the tool "kick" out somewhat when the it is tightened.

Tool should fit the clamp opening snugly. If you are trying to hold a smaller tool or one with a round shank then you need to make a sleeve to take up the excess space....

Here is an example of an adapter for a small tool holder (small bore)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Note her all locations are reinforced by flats and clamp screws. The square section for the slotting head has a shoulder that seats hard against the clamp....
Don't want anything moving here....

attachment.php

End result....
attachment.php

For larger bars the end is machined with a square directly.....
Cheers Ross

Here is a single piece bar....
Again note the stop shoulder at the end of the square.
Also note the shadow around the tool bit....Square tool hole in bar made by boring round hole and pressing in a square hole bushing (Sturdy broach and others)
Makes making boring tooling a SNAP....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here the tool bit is clamped by a set screw in the end of the bar....
Note the flats on the side of the bar....done on both sides and centered on the tool bit mounting hole...Aids in centering and aligning the tool..

attachment.php

Cheers Ross

Thanks all. I pushed out the clamp parts and inspected them, all fine. But looking at it makes it apparent that a holder should be made instead of using a .375 or .500" square tool. A special holder should fit tight and then the tool bit be inserted in it. I was making a blind .385" internal square in a piece of bronze. Loading the tool towards the rear of the machine is way better than side ways. Putting a stop shoulder on the tool holder is a great idea. Thanks

Alloy part is new (some years beck) construction for the blower on a Miller 122 racer....Circa 1924

Material: 7075 Aluminum. Diameter aprox 8.5" FP4NC contouring....
attachment.php

Impeller fitted with separate "inducer" ...made by indexing each blade, shaped 3-D contoured
attachment.php

Finished assembly......
attachment.php

Material i believe was my go to for strong wear resistant shafts tooling, seal surfaces and the like...

ETD 150 From the mill at RC 35 or so.

Cheers Ross

Loading the tool towards the rear of the machine is way better than side ways.

The ram on the Deckel slotter is made for thrust (cutting forces) applied front to back. ("Y"plus/minus)...Less rigid working sideways (X plus/minus)

There are factory slotting tools in a variety of shaped ends...single piece forged units...can be found, and i am sure Singer has as well...
Bridgeport also made slotting tooling , single piece forged like the Deckel stuff, but having a cylindrical shank at 5/8" dia......you would need to make a different clamp to use those as the
Deckel square is at 16mm (no room for an adapter)
Think finding the Bridgeport tooling would be easier at least here (USA)
Cheers Ross

A good slotting tool supports the toolbit as far out as possible
Like these one
Nutenstossen-Nutstossen-Werkzeuge.jpg
You could mill a ridge on the toolholder to achieve this
The last shop I worked had a fixture to grind slotting tools out of round
It was a steel block with the angles of the tool on the outside and a hole to accept the round toolbit
Start with a flat Then bolt it in the ficture The flat positions it Place it on the surface grinder with the tool upright Now it grinds the right reliefangle
Then turn 90dgr and it grinds the side
Then turn 180 dgr and it grinds the other side Right in the middle
Now measure Adjust the hight of the stone and move in Turn the fixture over and do the other side
Now the cutting edge is exactly in the middle of the round part of the toolbit

Peter

Some photos of new slotting cutters supplied to me by FPS as part of my FPS 300 M (Deckel FP1) purchase, I presume these cutters are pretty close if not identical to what Deckel provided back when:

IMG_20201112_195147.jpgIMG_20201112_195153.jpg

Back