What's new
What's new

Deckel FP 2021 Precision Boring Head problem - quill is stuck solid

Oldtimer1957

Plastic
I have just purchased a Deckel FP 2021 Feinbohrkopf / Precision Boring head. The head is apparently unused and has been stored for at least 20 years. The head is in perfect looking condition BUT the quill seems to be stuck solid in the cast body of the head.

I am assuming that it is simply that the grease/oil has completely dried out and "set". I have partly dismantled the head (I have removed the head from the gearbox section). I have tried soaking around the quill with "white spirit", but so far the quill refuses to move. I have resisted the urge at "knock" the quill, and have limited my attempts to move it to using a press (with a home made part to transfer the force to the top of the quill and avoid loading the inner part of the spindle.

I have read that others have had similar problems with "dried out grease", but I am really anxious about how much force I have already applied (about 3 tonnes) without any movement.

Anyone here had success with getting a Deckel FP quill in the Feinbohrkopf 2021 / Precision boring head moving again? Could there still be something mechanically stopping the quill from moving?

Many thanks.

Inside the body of the head there is an annular groove that is to supply lube to the quill...
Suggest you apply your solution to free up the old grease/oil to this groove....
I would use "Gum turpentine" for this or similar....

On the front of the head is a movable round bar with a shelf on top , that is held in place via a thumb screw.....
Be sure the part is all the way down as low as it will go.
On top of the shelf (intended for gauge blocks) is a small straight slotted screw...remove this screw which will present a hole beneath..that hole feeds through the movable bar and over into the boring head.....

Give it some time...got this way over years, likely won't free up in 20 minutes .....

Try warming the head up (hair dryer or low heat gun) and allow to cool...cycle the heat....
And be sure as Bruce mentions that you don't have the feed engaged or the quill locked..

The internal fits of the quill and the casting are very close and the contact is relatively long....be patient!

Cheers Ross

Hello. Thanks for your comment. Yes, the power feed is disconnected (in fact I have removed that part of the head completely). Kind regards

Hello Ross. Thank for your comments. I have now removed the slotted screw from the dial indicator measuring bar and started to feed solution in the hole. It's reassuring to hear that the quill can be so solidly fixed with the old grease. That's what I had assumed, but I was becoming anxious that something else inside might be jammed. I will keep feeding penetrating solution for a few days and then hopefully it will start to move again, so that I can clean it properly. I will also try my wife's hairdryer on it to thermal cycle it a bit (hopefully she won't see me borrow the hairdryer). I will post again when it is moving. Thanks for now and kind regards.

OH and if you have it out do not expect to push it in again easy Theslightest tilt will jam it I always line up the head on the machine place the quil on the tableNice and square And then move the table up
Peter

Quick update...... Quill is now free again. Penetrating oil and patience (a few weeks) and some adapted bearing pullers and a small hydraulic cylinder to extract the quill. Then a gentle "honing" of the cast iron block with an engine/bore honing tool, a thorough clean and re-lubrication.... and it finally runs again. I was amazed at how "hard" the old oil/grease had set, making the quill absolutely solid. Thanks once again to everyone for the various feedback posts and advise. It gave me the necessary reassurance to continue stripping down the head and eventually getting it working smoothly again.

Back