What's new
What's new

Deckel FP electrical connection help

swehollow

Plastic
Hi. Im trying to plug in a used deckel fp3, but my circuit breaker keeps breaking as soon is try to turn the switch on the cabinet. What is wrong? The three phases are connected to the R S T slots and the earth to a earth slot. But there is also a blue cable coming out of the earth.... see picture.
Am i too use neutral aswell or only 3 phases and ground?

Thanks.

Attachments

• deckel el.jpg
    deckel el.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 105
Yes You need to connect the nutral (bleu) too but that can not be the cause of your problem
Is it a residual current device that trips??? i
If there is conductivity between neutral and earth this will inmediatly trip
So check that

Peter

That is the obvious But check conductivity once more as sometimes when powering auxillary equipment like a lamp or so they used the ground and a phase
Sometimes its a srtuggle to find the culpritt

Peter

That is the obvious But check conductivity once more as sometimes when powering auxillary equipment like a lamp or so they used the ground and a phase
Sometimes its a srtuggle to find the culpritt

Peter

So that bridge is not suppose to be there correct? That's the neutral slot.

How do I check conductivity?

It is not supposed to be there if you have a RCD in place
You measure conductivity with a ohmmeter
Or if you do not have one with a battery with a light bulb

Peter

Alright thanks peter. I do have a RCD. I've now removed it. Am i to connect Neutral there then since the cable left in place is blue? That leaves me no proper slot for earth. See picture . deckel el2.jpg

The 3 terminals to the right of the neutral terminal with all those earth wires in them are all connected to eachother in the middle of the terminals
The first one of the tree has a free slot at the bottem That is where your earth is supposed to be connected

Peter

Alright thanks peter. I do have a RCD. I've now removed it. Am i to connect Neutral there then since the cable left in place is blue? That leaves me no proper slot for earth. See picture . View attachment 317517

Looks like you've fixed it already, but just to stress that the earth connection is critical for the safety of the operator. This bonds all the exposed (and internal) metalwork of the machine to safety earth. If this is not hooked up, and a fault develops, the machine can go live/hot, and an unlucky operator could then get electrocuted.
So never leave the ground unconnected.

If the ground is properly hooked up, and a fault develops, one of two things will happen:
1. The RCD will trip, cutting the power to the machine and whatever else runs through it.
2. If there's no RCD and the fault is big enough, the breaker will trip.

Under neither circumstance will exposed metalwork on the machine be live.

A 30ma RCD will tripp if you touch a hot wire even if eart is not connected
That's true, but surely you're not advocating to leave the ground floating?

With the ground connected, the RCD will trip first on any fault and the operator will spared that 30mA buzz. Under just the wrong circumstances, a 30mA buzz can be directly lethal, and it can always cause a secondary hazard - like falling off stairs, or jerking into a spinning lathe/mill or the like.

Also, the general rule with life-and-limb safety is that you want multiple safeties. With an RCD, a breaker and a ground connection, you effectively have two operator safeties.
With no ground, you'd better hope that RCD is good because it's the only safety the operator has. Incidentally that's what the little button on the front of it is for, testing it against e.g. an open sense coil, or a welded contact or the like.
The breaker is not there to protect the operator, it's to protect the wiring against becoming a fire hazard on overload.

Here in North America the ground is commonly the only operator safety, as you don't typically have RCD protection on anything but household bathroom or outdoor outlets (but I digress). This is true at least with residential wiring, I don't know how it works in an industrial setting.

Over here on new installations a 30ma RCD is mandatory a couple of decennia already

Yeah, I'm a licensed electrician from a European country, but living in Canada. I really don't understand the archaic distribution system and code here in North America.

My wife has a pretty binary definition for civilization: if you live within range of home delivery pizza, you're in civilization; otherwise you're not.
Myself, I'd say civilization is where you get 400/230 three phase to your residence as a matter of course, and obviously protected by an RCD :).

My own FP1 has had the neutral and ground joined when purchased.. used to work fine on my RPC until the household electrics were updated (then it would sometimes trip)..

Myself, i'd say civilization is where you get 400/230 three phase to your residence as a matter of course, and obviously protected by an rcd :).

:D
(I guess it does simplify things, if you want to turn your house into a semi-industrial workshop :) )

:D
(I guess it does simplify things, if you want to turn your house into a semi-industrial workshop :) )

Since a long time already we have 3 phases to residences But that is in general limitid to 3x25amps mainfuse
All subfuses are 16Amps max
The advantage is that you have nowhere huge amps flowing which are a fire hazard Also the mainfusebox is smaller Typicly 425x230mm That houses a RPC Mainswitch and about 10 fuses
Also if one mainfuse blows you are not completly in the dark eighter
Peter

Since a long time already we have 3 phases to residences But that is in general limitid to 3x25amps mainfuse
All subfuses are 16Amps max
The advantage is that you have nowhere huge amps flowing which are a fire hazard Also the mainfusebox is smaller Typicly 425x230mm That houses a RPC Mainswitch and about 10 fuses
Also if one mainfuse blows you are not completly in the dark eighter
Peter

yeap, I know.... I live in Europe as well ;)

Yeah, I'm a licensed electrician from a European country, but living in Canada. I really don't understand the archaic distribution system and code here in North America.

Didn't keep me from getting a hot cup of coffee or turning on this computer this morning....There are 340 million of us here (US) that seem to do just fine with this "Archaic" setup.
Didn't seem to keep us back from putting a man on the moon......Personally think 50 hz is pretty "Archaic"....;)
Cheers Ross

Ross
Which is more "Archaic" 50Hz single phase 230volts and 3ph 400volts
Or 60 Hz Single phase 120V 2phase 220 volts 3ph 120/208 V or 277/480 V or 120/240 V or 240 V / 480 V and those that I forgot:stirthepot:

Peter

Back