What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 feed gearbox

Neil Scully

Plastic
I have started to work through the twin knob FP1 I purchased a month or so ago. The first issue to takle was that both the feed and speed knob scale were misaligned. THe speed onw was easy to sort out, not only was the scale misaligned to the knob the know was incorrectly indexed to the splined shaft meaning the max speed detent would not engage.
Flushed with success I swathed my attention to the feed knob expecting exactly the same. Only with this one there is insufficient total rotation to be able to mount the knob onto the splined shaft and get both end detents to engage. Can anyone shed any light on what the issue may be. I will have to remove the selector cover to investigate but, any pointers would be useful.

Neil

Believe that there is an additional adjustment to the gear selector setup that you can access form the outside....

Remove the small center knob (grub screw)
Remove the circlip and washers/spring.
Remove the larger outer knob.
Remove the dial that has the printed speed/feed values..
Under all is a plate that can be adjusted (rotated w/slotted holes) that sets the hard position of the dial.....

Not sure this will help your problem, take a look before opening the box...
Cheers Ross

Now resolved. I spent an interesting (frustrating?) couple of hours looking at it. I removed the cover plate with dial to have a good look. I guess the previous owner had done this to clean out the oil sump as everything was pristine with no sludge or sediment just the original factor white paint. It is a bit of a chore getting the selectors to line up going back together but after a few attempts I got it back correctly. it was then a question of comparing the detent hole spacing to the dial plate to establish the correct orientation. Once this was done a trail assembly without spring and circlip showed all the feed rates lining up as they should unlike before. Rebuilt with all the correct bits it now functions as it should. I think that for both gearboxes the previous owner took the dial plates off then failed to work out how to get it back together properly. I suspect this is why he said he had had it fo r15 years but never really used it.

Back