What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 Modification

Alan

Cast Iron
The rear belt guard on my machine is a real pain to remove due having to undo the motor / mount etc, so to solve this I split the belt casting down the middle, apart from a small amount of residual stress relief at the bottom end all else seems fine and reattaches using the original 4 cap screw mounts. The saw was temporarily setup per photo and a friend helped guide it through the cutting process, took about 5 minutes.

casting.jpgcasting 1.jpgcasting 3.jpgcvasting 2.jpg

My FP1s the bottom of that cover is open from the motor shaft down. So you take the black hand wheel off, remove the cap screws, and pick the cover up and off. I don’t think they’re modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one FP1 that is flanged motor mount. The back cover on that machine has a very wide slot on the bottom. Maybe 150mm.

I have three other FP1s where the motor is shelf mounted. The back cover on these has a narrower slot, maybe 50mm. Still easily lifted off over the motor shaft. The slot has to be there because the motor electrical conduit runs through this area. This is rigid conduit not movable.

So I have no idea how a cover exists that does not have this slot. Maybe a very early machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The machine is roughly 1964 vintage #37187 and the electric motor that was with it was scrapped many years ago and replaced with a Teco one, I suspect the motor shaft is slightly shorter as the belt casting will not go far enough back before striking the front of the motor so it could be lifted off even if there was a cutout on the bottom of the casting to permit such, I did look at this and any other options before undertaking an act of sacrilege, but in the end it has turned out well, as its a minute job to remove one half and get in to check the belt / chain etc.

Attachments

• mounting.jpg
    mounting.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 92

Back