What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 - new addition to the man cave

strandberg

Plastic
Deckel FP1 - new addition to the workshop

Randomly I stumbled upon a retired gentleman in my neighbourhood that had a drill press for sale. While checking that out I noticed he also had a Deckel FP1 in his garage so I ended up buying that for a very reasonable price (also ended up with a Schaublin 102). Hope to get it delivered next weekend depending on the weather.

I hope it will clean up nicely.
20190610_165233.jpg

Slotting head:
20190610_120610.jpg

High speed head:
20190611_224324.jpg

20190616_214818.jpg
Does this mean it's for a FP2, or are they interchangeable?

Spiral milling attachment:
20190610_165356.jpg

I unfortunately didn't get a gearbox with it. But making a simple encoder / stepper setup should be manageable if the need arises.

I'm super excited to get the mill home and start playing with it. First step after it's cleaned and up and running is to figure out what kind of DRO to get and how to mount it.

Randomly I stumbled upon a retired gentleman in my neighbourhood that had a drill press for sale. While checking that out I noticed he also had a Deckel FP1 in his garage so I ended up buying that for a very reasonable price (also ended up with a Schaublin 102). Hope to get it delivered next weekend depending on the weather.

I hope it will clean up nicely.
View attachment 260033

Slotting head:
View attachment 260034

High speed head:
View attachment 260035

View attachment 260037
Does this mean it's for a FP2, or are they interchangeable?

Spiral milling attachment:
View attachment 260036

I unfortunately didn't get a gearbox with it. But making a simple encoder / stepper setup should be manageable if the need arises.

I'm super excited to get the mill home and start playing with it. First step after it's cleaned and up and running is to figure out what kind of DRO to get and how to mount it.

Nice Grab, congrat's!

Your Spiral attachment is the same vintage as mine. Let me know if you need any info on the gearbox. Mine has similar serial number as yours and has a gear selector nameplate inside the gearbox cover for both FP1 and FP2. If you look at my FP1 "New to me" post you will see some pics of the inside of my gearbox along with a discussion of the x axis shaft cutout. People were thinking it was an FP2 unit modified to work on an Fp1. I now see a later model "new" one available on MachineSucher with the same cut out, so thinking it may be factory to make it universal. I'm certainly no expert....

I mounted cheapie iGaging scales with Yuri's Bluetooth reader to my FP1 at least for now. Certainly not the most accurate setup but definitely cost effective.. PM me if you want any pictures of the install.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Spiral Milling Gearbox.jpg
    Spiral Milling Gearbox.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 170
Looks like a great find. Make sure that it's been oiled with oil not grease: the "grease nipples" are for oil.

The Z bellows looks tired, but arguably it may not be important/needed. However check the X and Y bellows. If they are in poor shape or torn it's worth replacing them. New parts are available and the cost is reasonable.

I would like to live in such a neighborhood! The only retired gentleman in my neighborhood with a Deckel will be me, when I retire....:)

Great find, enjoy!

BR,
Thanos

Congratulations - that's a nice looking machine.

May you get many hours of enjoyment out of her :)

Yeah, my priorities are getting it home, giving it a good clean / maintenance, fix replace anything that's broken and then use it for a bit.

If needed we'll scrape the ways, replace bearings, screws/nuts and all that in the future. We need to complete re-scraping my buddys Bridgeport before pulling apart any more machines :)

@lowpass the spiral milling attachment seems like something really fun to test out, but in reality it's probably not something I'd use very often. But if I decide I want to try to make a gearbox instead of the electronic replacement I might bug you for more details at some point :)

@Rob F, no probably not keeping the chinese mill/drill but it's a decent enough machine and has served me well. Always nice to have multiple machines set up for different work ;)

Yeah, my priorities are getting it home, giving it a good clean / maintenance, fix replace anything that's broken and then use it for a bit.
Strandberg, looks like we're in exactly the same spot - I'm also waiting to get my machine home, and also plan to do the cleaning up, checking, repairing... finalizing my deal has hit a bit of a snag, though, but I hope to still resolve the issues this week, so hold thumbs for me :o

Strandberg, looks like we're in exactly the same spot - I'm also waiting to get my machine home, and also plan to do the cleaning up, checking, repairing... finalizing my deal has hit a bit of a snag, though, but I hope to still resolve the issues this week, so hold thumbs for me :o

Good luck!

Got min yesterday and I think it will clean up quite nicely! The coolant tank though.. Wish it wasnt full ;P

20190706_202431.jpg

Hi, congrats on a great find.

It's rare to find a machine complete with those accessories.

About DRO, there is a Chinese company making/selling DRO's.
A seller can be found on Faceb**k; his name is Aiken Yu.
He'll get a nice DRO to you at a great price.

Unless you desperately need it to be Heidenhain, of course...

Cheers
Erik

Bummer, cleaned up the slotting head and it's pretty much unused. just cosmetically dinged up and some surface rust. Anyway, turned out great. Except that it's for a FP2 :(

Need to dig out the spiral attachment but I suspect that too is the "22" model. The company where this originally came from had a bunch of FP2 and only one FP1 apparently.

Back