Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Deckel FP1 - new addition to the workshop

Randomly I stumbled upon a retired gentleman in my neighbourhood that had a drill press for sale. While checking that out I noticed he also had a Deckel FP1 in his garage so I ended up buying that for a very reasonable price (also ended up with a Schaublin 102). Hope to get it delivered next weekend depending on the weather.

I hope it will clean up nicely.
    20190610_165233.jpg

Slotting head:
    20190610_120610.jpg

High speed head:
    20190611_224324.jpg

20190616_214818.jpg
    Does this mean it's for a FP2, or are they interchangeable?

Spiral milling attachment:
    20190610_165356.jpg

I unfortunately didn't get a gearbox with it. But making a simple encoder / stepper setup should be manageable if the need arises.

I'm super excited to get the mill home and start playing with it. First step after it's cleaned and up and running is to figure out what kind of DRO to get and how to mount it.

2. Likes Colt45, ballen, Lumberjack, cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With that great new addition you are not seriously considering keeping the mill-drill are you?
    Looks like a great score!

4. Likes strandberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a nice find, congratulations.

6. Likes strandberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by strandberg View Post
    Randomly I stumbled upon a retired gentleman in my neighbourhood that had a drill press for sale. While checking that out I noticed he also had a Deckel FP1 in his garage so I ended up buying that for a very reasonable price (also ended up with a Schaublin 102). Hope to get it delivered next weekend depending on the weather.

I hope it will clean up nicely.
    20190610_165233.jpg

Slotting head:
    20190610_120610.jpg

High speed head:
    20190611_224324.jpg

20190616_214818.jpg
    Does this mean it's for a FP2, or are they interchangeable?

Spiral milling attachment:
    20190610_165356.jpg

I unfortunately didn't get a gearbox with it. But making a simple encoder / stepper setup should be manageable if the need arises.

I'm super excited to get the mill home and start playing with it. First step after it's cleaned and up and running is to figure out what kind of DRO to get and how to mount it.
    Nice Grab, congrat's!

Your Spiral attachment is the same vintage as mine. Let me know if you need any info on the gearbox. Mine has similar serial number as yours and has a gear selector nameplate inside the gearbox cover for both FP1 and FP2. If you look at my FP1 "New to me" post you will see some pics of the inside of my gearbox along with a discussion of the x axis shaft cutout. People were thinking it was an FP2 unit modified to work on an Fp1. I now see a later model "new" one available on MachineSucher with the same cut out, so thinking it may be factory to make it universal. I'm certainly no expert....

I mounted cheapie iGaging scales with Yuri's Bluetooth reader to my FP1 at least for now. Certainly not the most accurate setup but definitely cost effective.. PM me if you want any pictures of the install.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0904.jpg   img_0905.jpg   spiral-milling-gearbox.jpg  

8. Likes strandberg liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a great find. Make sure that it's been oiled with oil not grease: the "grease nipples" are for oil.

The Z bellows looks tired, but arguably it may not be important/needed. However check the X and Y bellows. If they are in poor shape or torn it's worth replacing them. New parts are available and the cost is reasonable.

10. Likes strandberg liked this post
    Country
    GREECE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to live in such a neighborhood! The only retired gentleman in my neighborhood with a Deckel will be me, when I retire....

Great find, enjoy!

BR,
    Thanos

12. Likes strandberg liked this post
    Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations - that's a nice looking machine.

May you get many hours of enjoyment out of her

14. Likes strandberg liked this post
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks

Yeah, my priorities are getting it home, giving it a good clean / maintenance, fix replace anything that's broken and then use it for a bit.

If needed we'll scrape the ways, replace bearings, screws/nuts and all that in the future. We need to complete re-scraping my buddys Bridgeport before pulling apart any more machines

@lowpass the spiral milling attachment seems like something really fun to test out, but in reality it's probably not something I'd use very often. But if I decide I want to try to make a gearbox instead of the electronic replacement I might bug you for more details at some point

@Rob F, no probably not keeping the chinese mill/drill but it's a decent enough machine and has served me well. Always nice to have multiple machines set up for different work

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by strandberg View Post
    Yeah, my priorities are getting it home, giving it a good clean / maintenance, fix replace anything that's broken and then use it for a bit.
    Strandberg, looks like we're in exactly the same spot - I'm also waiting to get my machine home, and also plan to do the cleaning up, checking, repairing... finalizing my deal has hit a bit of a snag, though, but I hope to still resolve the issues this week, so hold thumbs for me

17. Likes strandberg liked this post
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HennieL View Post
    Strandberg, looks like we're in exactly the same spot - I'm also waiting to get my machine home, and also plan to do the cleaning up, checking, repairing... finalizing my deal has hit a bit of a snag, though, but I hope to still resolve the issues this week, so hold thumbs for me
    Good luck!

Got min yesterday and I think it will clean up quite nicely! The coolant tank though.. Wish it wasnt full ;P

20190706_202431.jpg

19. Likes ballen, cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, congrats on a great find.

It's rare to find a machine complete with those accessories.

About DRO, there is a Chinese company making/selling DRO's.
    A seller can be found on Faceb**k; his name is Aiken Yu.
    He'll get a nice DRO to you at a great price.

Unless you desperately need it to be Heidenhain, of course...

Cheers
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Hi, congrats on a great find.

It's rare to find a machine complete with those accessories.

Cheers
    Erik
    Indeed...nice to find a machine complete with lots of accessories.....
    Shame that the original owner did not value his collection enough to keep it rust free....

Cheers Ross

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bummer, cleaned up the slotting head and it's pretty much unused. just cosmetically dinged up and some surface rust. Anyway, turned out great. Except that it's for a FP2

Need to dig out the spiral attachment but I suspect that too is the "22" model. The company where this originally came from had a bunch of FP2 and only one FP1 apparently.