What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 type and year

MikeLDN

Plastic
Hi all,

I have tested old Deckel FP1, machine works pretty good but I have no machine's documentation.
It does not have "stickshift", has levers for X and Y feeds and wheels to change gears. Plate has type "F.P.I" and Number (serial?) "8025", looks like MK1.
When this machine could be manufactured, any guess?

Attachments

• dec1.jpg
    dec1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 208
  • dec2.jpg
    dec2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 178
  • dec3.jpg
    dec3.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 459
  • dec4.jpg
    dec4.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 249
Hi all,

I have tested old Deckel FP1, machine works pretty good but I have no machine's documentation.
It does not have "stickshift", has levers for X and Y feeds and wheels to change gears. Plate has type "F.P.I" and Number (serial?) "8025", looks like MK1.
When this machine could be manufactured, any guess?

Please see:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-a-108520/?highlight=deckel fp1 serial number

According to this, the mfg year of this machine was 1934 or 1935.

Best,

Stefan

Wow! That is really old, thanks Stefan.
Considering that, are there any parts which can't be found for replacement, i.e. to make machine non-repairable?

"Considering that, are there any parts which can't be found for replacement, i.e. to make machine non-repairable? "

Really? That machine is like 86 years old. Safe bet that any specific parts for that machine are long gone....
Good news is that its a pretty simple machine....spindles are plain bushings so could be replaced with some careful work if needed....
Any gearbox issues save bearings would need to be made to suit....

Pretty sure you won't find any change gears for the feeds either unless it comes with a full set....Good news is that converting the feed to a variable speed DC motor is pretty simple.
Slides and gibs....that scrapers work.....and lead screws....would use commercially available threaded stock, machine to fit...make your own nuts for same.

Singer is pretty good, but 86 years back....not likely.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,

Singer is pretty good, but 86 years back....not likely.

I'm not so sure... at one point Franz took me upstairs to show me his parts storage. He has several large storage areas with floor to ceiling shelving crammed with stuff, new and used. Somewhere between hundreds of thousands and millions of parts. I had asked him for something obscure, and he went directly to the correct storage area, the correct shelving unit, the correct shelf, the correct cardboard box, and the correct part. I was blown away.

Cheers, Bruce

"Good news is that its a pretty simple machine..."
From what I have been able to check, everything is in working order and solid. Good to know that it can be repaired, just in case.

Of course, but I need to clean it first and set the light.
Will come with more detailed pictures here, for sure...

Do you have a manual for your 1934 FP1?

If not, then I can send you a 1938 FP1 manual I scanned myself.

And gears for the feed can be bought on German eBay . Remember to buy them in pairs.

Cheers
Erik

That would be great Erik, I don't have any documentation for this machine. Thank you very much.

"And gears for the feed can be bought on German eBay"... I'm definitely falling in love with this machine :)

I have the same model, FP 1 MK1 build year something around 1935. With MK4 Spindle. If you need any specific help or photos of something missing, let me know I can try to help you somehow!.

That would be great Erik, I don't have any documentation for this machine. Thank you very much.

"And gears for the feed can be bought on German eBay"... I'm definitely falling in love with this machine :)

I am working on replacing existing feed gear mechanism since I also don't have the change gears. I can share some ideas with you if you are interested.

Thanks.
I have feed gears, the complete set has 8 (4 pairs). They are very well made, grounded and "non standard" number of teeth, not sure how they could be made. One of ideas here was to replace that with some sort of step motor and control rotation that way.

What I needed to do was to change complete electrical installation, all wires, change fuses to automatic ones... it was simply to much risk to keep it, it had signs of aging and 3 phase current is not to be play with.
I'm "documenting" process of complete checking, repairing, tuning, hopefully it will be a good post here in a few months time :)

G1.jpg

g2.jpg

Separating the feed from the main motor will help you also in meaning of using feed while rotating the spindle in reverse. Also you can do some fast feed and stuff.

My machine did not even come with an electrical cabinet. I paid junk price for it, mechanically it is in perfect condition tough.

Back