What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 Vertical Head management

drcoelho

Stainless
Got my FPS 300M/Deckel FP1 Vertical Head management situation worked out, see attached photo showing the newly installed hoist ring and use of my bridge crane to lift up the vertical head:

IMG_20200813_171616.jpg

Interesting. Position of that lifting eye is in about the same spot that Singer fits an oil lube fitting on the square head verticals to lube the step up gears...(at least on an FP2)
Seems the factory design is light on oil getting to the gears that raise the drive up to the bevel gears of the vertical....Have has several late square head machines and they all had noisy
gearing after some use...Replaced the gears and did the oil fitting modifications....Made a big difference in the noise of a machine with some mileage on it...
I am sure yours will be quiet for some time being new.....

FYI...Here is the mod...Oil fitting drilled through to allow oil to contact gears.
attachment.php

Internal change, drilling through existing bolt hole to make drain hole to keep oil level at a correct level.

attachment.php

Cheers Ross

Ross, my vertical head is identical to yours with respect to positioning of the oil zerk so I believe that late model vertical heads all had the oil zerk installed, FPS also put an M12 threaded hole about 2 inches further back from the zerk, which is where I mounted the hoist ring.

Is that a different hoist in the build photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I swapped out the original hoist with the low profile hoist to get better head room. I'm very pleased with the newer low profile hoist, notice that the lifting unit rises up into the hoist frame, very nicely designed, and the lowest headroom I could find in any unit on the market.

Back