Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    GREECE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ross has provided some solid advice here ALG 100 nasty vertical head rattle

I had a worn bronze bushing in my old mill, an ALG100.

At that point I was not experienced enough (or had the equipment) to follow Ross's advice, and then the machine was sold. But it's knowledge that grows in you, even if you never apply it to where it was aimed for.

BR,
    Thanos

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure now, but if it's got movement, then I don't think lapping and removing more material will help. Since material cannot be added, I think a replacement bronze sleeve is required.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny - the last line in that thread is about adjusting the spindle nuts to improve runout. I did this last night and am now just under one thousandth of an inch runout (by hand and under power). Clearly tighter is better for runout. There are several posts about tightening these nuts for the needle bearing spindle as “finger tighten plus a little”. Is the same true for the bronze bushing? I ran the spindle at this adjustment for about 10 minutes without noticeable heat on the spindle.

In a perfect world the bronze would be just plastic enough to allow me to incrementally tighten the spindle nuts over time and improve runout, but this might be wishful thinking.

The good news is that the quill fits the housing very well and I have the new oiling tube installed.

Thanks again,
    John

4. Likes AlfaGTA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    Since material cannot be added, I think a replacement bronze sleeve is required.
    Not sure this is exactly true.....Believe since the spindle and the bearing sleeve are tapered, that one can tighten the radial clearance between the bushing and shaft(spindle) by
    moving the spindle axially. Believe there is a procedure in the FP1 manual for this....Requires precision surface grinding of the spacer and testing for fit.

The caution here is that you need to make adjustments carefully. Reduction in the spacer length will tighten the clearance,if you go too far then you will have to make a new spacer and start over.

Cheers Ross

6. Likes ballen, DennisCA, Klaus liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jcgrimes View Post
    The good news is that the quill fits the housing very well and I have the new oiling tube installed.
    Photos please, they will help the next person in this situation.

Important: are you talking about "runout" which means that the spindle does not run true? Or are you talking about "free play" which means that you can shift the spindle position radially or axially?

I always thought that one advantage of journal bearings was that you could adjust them with shims or spacers to reduce the play to the correct amount. On my Studer cylindrical grinder, the wheel head has a solid bronze journal bearing. The procedure to adjust it is to rotate two locking nuts until there is 50 microns (about 0.002") of end play in the spindle. The bearing taper is 1:10 so this yields 5 microns (0.0002") of radial play when dry. With oil and running at speed that free play is eliminated.

You can not eliminate runout this way (runout indicates a non-cylindrically-symmetric spindle shaft). But you should be able to adjust out the free play (or reduce it to the correct amount).

EDIT: I see that Ross has just posted the page with the correct procedure for adjusting the free play.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    Not sure this is exactly true.....Believe since the spindle and the bearing sleeve are tapered, that one can tighten the radial clearance between the bushing and shaft(spindle) by
    moving the spindle axially. Believe there is a procedure in the FP1 manual for this....Requires precision surface grinding of the spacer and testing for fit.

The caution here is that you need to make adjustments carefully. Reduction in the spacer length will tighten the clearance,if you go too far then you will have to make a new spacer and start over.

Cheers Ross
    Ooh I missed that it was tapered.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After several adjustments to the spindle nuts the runout is close to spec! I guess bronze bushings are as forgiving as I have read.

A note to anyone who might find themselves in this position in the future. There isn’t enough clearance between the quill and the horizontal spindle drive gear so I needed to notch the quill at the top front to allow the addition of an oiling tube. It’s strange that the photo earlier in this post of another quill with Bronze bushing shows this notch, but mine doesn’t.
    35602909-1d1b-4e90-a733-6b712c42d6fe.jpg

Once this is added the location of the tube is pretty obvious. I used 1/4” copper tube which can bend for initial fitting. Here is a photo looking up into the housing with the quill removed.

Lastly, here is the hole for the oiling tube. Measurement is from the flat top of housing.
    4c6bab8f-a8d3-4440-a535-0d55c2ed9dc6.jpg

Thanks again for all the help!
    John

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After several adjustments to the spindle nuts the runout is close to spec! I guess bronze bushings are as forgiving as I have read.

A note to anyone who might find themselves in this position in the future. There isn’t enough clearance between the quill and the horizontal spindle drive gear so I needed to notch the quill at the top front to allow the addition of an oiling tube. It’s strange that the photo earlier in this post of another quill with Bronze bushing shows this notch, but mine doesn’t.

Once this is added the location of the tube is pretty obvious. I used 1/4” copper tube which can bend for initial fitting. Here is a photo looking up into the housing with the quill removed.
    1d454665-19c5-46d7-a656-26b17eace75d.jpg

Lastly, here is the hole for the oiling tube. Measurement is from the flat top of housing.

John

11. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,

Glad you were able to adjust the tapered bearing to get the free play down to the recommended value. Thanks also for the photos of the oil tube -- they will help the next people with this problem.

Cheers,
    Bruce

PS: I suggest that you delete post #47, since it's a duplicate of the following post but the second picture is missing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jcgrimes View Post

John
    I,m a little bit late to the party but pretty well versed in regard to the differences in the FP1 heads. They came in both versions with the bronze bushing, with and without the flip top oil port. The later one without is lubricated through the slot for the drive key which will also oil the drive gears. In my opinion the ideal setup, none of the other early heads account for getting oil to those gears. I have several different heads with the 4 Morse taper including one off a dual dial machine and on all those I never saw a single mention to lubricating the gearing in any of my manuals?
    Dan