Login to Your Account
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    You will also need to make a slide hammer for removing blind taper pins that have an internal thread
    As I recall there is one on the shift fork mechanism that select up/down. But I might be wrong and it's an external thread. You will also need a slide hammer to pull out the plugs from the ends of the oil passages. You drill and tap these, then slide hammer them out. In some cases you can reuse the plugs. Block the threaded hole with a set screw + thread sealant.

Country
    GREECE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    As I recall there is one on the shift fork mechanism that select up/down. But I might be wrong and it's an external thread. You will also need a slide hammer to pull out the plugs from the ends of the oil passages. You drill and tap these, then slide hammer them out. In some cases you can reuse the plugs. Block the threaded hole with a set screw + thread sealant.
    If I remember correctly, there is only one threaded pin in there, with external threads. But it's all vague...

One thing I do remember is that we (me and Kyriakos) took apart 2 machines in one day with a bit of time pressure and it all went silky smooth except for one AMAZINGLY STUBBORN tapered pin, I think it was at the bevel gear on the end of the feed rod. It took an hour, lunch break and then another hour.

Proceed calmly and enjoy the procedure, you've got the mill in your shed, you have all the time in the world

3. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BTW Sometimes you can see in the parts manual which way the tapered pin goes
    Only usefull with a non rotational form of coarse

I buy my tapered pins as long as they get So I can ream the hole a bit bigger and still can use any
    I have 100x4 and 80x3 That covers most of my needs

Peter

5. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I got the shaft out last night, got some new punches and used a bigger hammer. Still required some drilling, drilling from both ends helped. I believe I know why the shaft was hard to turn now. Can see some wear on it where it would have sat in the upper bronze bushing, hopefully nothing too bad, but that damned grease again. Didn't get a chance to take a photo, my kids are now old enough that they come out and want to be around when I work in the shop and it's difficult to focus then.

I have planned now to take a short break and do a side project and make my own dead blow hammer and a slide hammer.

EDIT: Got a picture, I hope I can just deburr it with a fine stone like my black arkansas and use it, probably happened from insufficient lubrication due to grease.

7. Likes ballen, AlfaGTA liked this post