Close
Login to Your Account
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had to go and open the spindle again to get peace of mind. I was wrong, ring 6 does manage to tighten the thrust bearings and remove the play. What I felt was the inner race of the bearing "C181NA", those have slop but those are not taken up by the ring so things are as they should be. Lock nut 9 and the spring washer though, they keep the inner races in place.

Lock nut 9 and the spring washer was also the only way I could see to adjust the end play, when we're talking of how the spindle is able to move axially in the spindle housing. When I insert the spindle in teh spindle housing and the thrust washer stack is adjusted tightly with the ring so I cannot feel any play with my fingers in the thrust washers, then nothing still holds the spindle in place, it moves freely axially until lock nut 9 and it's washer is inserted. I then screw in nut 9 and adjust until I got 6 microns of play again.

I noticed upon my second disassembly the inner spindle is kept in place even after the lock nut is removed though. I assume this is due to the tapered nature of the spindle and bearing race, they get mated to each other when the lock nut is adjusted.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The long reach head and vertical head is now reassembled as well

Reassembly of the vertical head was tricky, all the t-nuts fell to the bottom of the slot. I had to inject grease around the t-nuts to hold them in place, and then I had to make short lengths of threaded rod that I put in the t-nuts, otherwise I don't know how I would've been able to get all the t-nuts lined up. After I had the bolts through I could just remove them and put the regular bolts back in, the grease around the t-nuts kept them in place.

Country
    GREECE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post

P.S.

I am going through this thread with the disassembly fresh in my mind:
    1964 FP2 horizontal spindle adjustment

So far after reading just the first post, I would say that I have exactly the same issue as Thanos, parts 6 & 7 does not actually adjust anything, it just holds the bearings roughly in place no matter how tightly I try and get that ring. It seems our spindles are alike. But what I did was that I adjusted the play using the lock nut 9. This was obviously how it was done by the earlier operators. I am really confused by this, because now we have two spindles with the same issue. Is this indicative of something wrong in the spindle? Did Deckel make some odd spindles with a different layout?

I must keep reading...

Also went out and tested the radial play on the spindle, at the rear it is .01mm and at the front only 4-6 microns.
    Hi there Dennis,

scroll through that thread. I have some misleading information to begin with, since one of my issues was that I did not have the proper tool to REALLY tighten nut 9.
    Then, I had to grind a bit off the spacer to bring my radial play at the rear point from 0.008mm down to 0.001 mm, as per Mr. Singer's suggestions (via Bruce). I think you will need to go there as well...Have a look, it's all in the thread, along with Singer's tips.

BR,
    Thanos

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, your machine is looking really good and it seems that you are taking good care of the internals as well. Should be in action soon. Please post some photos of "first chips".

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, we'll see when it happens, Still some strands to tie up (DRO install, various small components like stops, the electrical box). I'll make sure to photo it when it happens.

Thanos yes I saw that it was very important, unfortunately I don't have that tool either, but I will soon enough I guess. I'll have to see how it performs as is in the future.

I spent this day emptying the shop as much as possible and doing a complete reorganization. The mill will stand next to the lathe now.

The advantage of this configuration is that the lathe is accessible from the rear, which I need to do in order to service the gear box on the lathe. And they don't interfere with each other any this way for a small footprint. Given that the deckel is operated from the side this setup made sense to me. I have considered connecting it to the deckel electrical box to reduce the amount of cables being run across the floor.

6. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    GREECE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plus you can insert a really long part through your lathe's spindle and support it on a steady that would rest on the (adjustable for height!) mill's table!

(in my case, I would have to drill a hole through the FP2 to fit something long through the spindle on the Colchester....but I really had no other alternative...)

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been spending the last few days on the shop reorganization, but today I worked on the electrics. I decided to add another 3-phase outlet to the electrical box. That way I won't need to run a cable for the lathe.

The additional outlet is not hooked up to the switch but is always live if the electrical box is hooked up.

Almost everything is hooked up. One really weird thing is the yellow cable that goes to a regular 230V outlet on the front, I tested the terminals it's hooked up to and it's hooked up phase to phase (!), so anyone plugging anything in there expecting 230V will get 400V single phase. I have no idea what the previous owners used this for, but good thing I didn't plug in anything.

I also removed this transformer to make room for the 3ph outlet. I am not sure if it's original or what purpose it served. It's a 230 - 100V transformer but only 100W. Not sure what need I'd have for that.

I also re-routed some of the wall outlets, fortunately an easy task since they are all just outside the walls and not hidden. I decided I really don't want to have a cable across the floor so I routed the outlet to the ceiling instead, as close as I got it, then I will drop down a power cable to the electrical box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having a narrow bench along the wall facing the lathe and operators side of the Deckel would be nice....
    Place to put your tools,tooling, drawings and instruments while running the machines.
    Storage below for collets, arbors cutters, vise,clamps, etc....White board on the wall also nice to sketch out projects and keep track of work done and yet to be completed...
    Cheers Ross