What's new
What's new

Deckel FP2 Activ Electrical diagrams.

karthikg89

Plastic
Hello! I have a Deckel FP2 activ toolroom mill. Recently due to a power fluctuation the drive went kaput with the MOVs(2 nos) getting fried. I have tried to repair it by replacing the MOVs but it won't work. Can anyone share the electrical drawings so that i can try to repair the drive? Also what are the specifications of the MOVs that need to be used? what other components of the drive need to be checked in such a case? The original ones were unidentifiable and i used what i thought would be the correct ones. Thanks is advance.

I can send you what I have. Not sure you'll find what you're looking for in it but better than nothing anyway.
Just PM me your email.

Sorry for not beeing more helpful but electronics is not my strong point...:rolleyes5:

Do you need the diagram for the Labod drive ??
There are different types on different machines and from different age
You can have them rebuild and tested for about €250 at Unitek Germany This is the OEM for Labod
They also have replacements for about €600
I am a very happy customer

Shipping might be costly

Peter

Are you sure the potentiometer is good ? I've owned many Activ Deckel but never had a bad D.C. drive..if there was a problem, always the pot was bad.

I would be be surprised if there existed schematics for the Labod drive availabe to the average human.

Recently due to a power fluctuation the drive went kaput with the MOVs(2 nos) getting fried. I have tried to repair it by replacing the MOVs but it won't work. Can anyone share the electrical drawings so that i can try to repair the drive? Also what are the specifications of the MOVs that need to be used? what other components of the drive need to be checked in such a case?

I do not know these particular machines, so I can only give some general comments.

Normally when Metal Oxide Varistors (MOVs) are used as protective devices, they are placed downstream of traditional fuses. The idea is that an over-voltage condition triggers the MOV to turn on and conduct, a lot of current flows through the MOV, and the fuse blows before (or at the same time) that the MOV vaporises, protecting the circuits downstream of the fuse and MOV. So you should check carefully to see if there is a fuse element which also blew. (Note: sometimes designers use "small value" resistors as fuses. Small means 0.1 to 1 ohm.)

In replacing the MOV, figure out what the nominal voltage across the MOV is, and then replace the MOV with one that is rated for a voltage that is 25 or 30% larger. The current rating should be substantially larger than the protective devices (fuses, circuit breakers) that protect the source, so that the MOV can pass enough current to trip them.

Do you need the diagram for the Labod drive ??
There are different types on different machines and from different age
You can have them rebuild and tested for about €250 at Unitek Germany This is the OEM for Labod
They also have replacements for about €600
I am a very happy customer

Shipping might be costly

Peter

I don't know if it is called the Labod drive. It is the drive that controls the feed.
Will check them out. But yes, the prices seem high. Adding to that the shipping etc. the price would be exorbitant.
Thanks for the info though!

Are you sure the potentiometer is good ? I've owned many Activ Deckel but never had a bad D.C. drive..if there was a problem, always the pot was bad.

I would be be surprised if there existed schematics for the Labod drive availabe to the average human.

The DC drive went bad due to voltage fluctuation. The 2 MOVs got fried. Will also check the pot.

Haha, are Labod drive schematics such guarded secrets?

I do not know these particular machines, so I can only give some general comments.

Normally when Metal Oxide Varistors (MOVs) are used as protective devices, they are placed downstream of traditional fuses. The idea is that an over-voltage condition triggers the MOV to turn on and conduct, a lot of current flows through the MOV, and the fuse blows before (or at the same time) that the MOV vaporises, protecting the circuits downstream of the fuse and MOV. So you should check carefully to see if there is a fuse element which also blew. (Note: sometimes designers use "small value" resistors as fuses. Small means 0.1 to 1 ohm.)

In replacing the MOV, figure out what the nominal voltage across the MOV is, and then replace the MOV with one that is rated for a voltage that is 25 or 30% larger. The current rating should be substantially larger than the protective devices (fuses, circuit breakers) that protect the source, so that the MOV can pass enough current to trip them.

That is some good info! I actually checked if there was a fuse at first but could not find anything even remote! So i guess it might be a resistor fuse. I will check that.

Ok i will also see if can figure out the right rating of the MOV to use.

Also, other than these, in such a situation, is there a chance that other components may be damaged? I mean before the MOV/Fuse blew could the voltage surge have affected any other part of the drive?

Thanks a lot!

Also, other than these, in such a situation, is there a chance that other components may be damaged? I mean before the MOV/Fuse blew could the voltage surge have affected any other part of the drive?

Yes, that's possible. But the purpose of the MOVs is to act as "sacrificial elements" to protect the remainder of the circuit. So if everything worked as it should have, the other parts will still be OK.

Back