What's new
What's new

Deckel FP2 back from the dead

McRae

Plastic
Hi guys,

picked up a FP2 the other day. This will be a slow rebuild done when I'm at home, I have no panic getting it up and running and I travel 200 days per year, so it'll have to take some time. I work in motorsports, so have access to machines through work, but this will be my forever mill for my home shop, been looking for a long time for a decent priced Deckel and this one sure fits the bill (it was cheap!).

#3876 first generation, which puts it as a 1965, which correlates with the documentation I got with the machine. It has been sitting half disassembled for over a decade, at least, so I won't be firing it up before I've taken it apart and clean it properly, don't want to cause more damage because of all the filth. Also need to find out why it was taken apart (bought from a estate, so no info there). No repaint needed though, looks like it is in a very nice condition paintwise under all the muck, so I'm hoping it is in decent shape wearwise besides whatever issue it has that caused it to be taken apart. There was no electrical cabinet with the mill, but I don't see that as an issue, would probably have deleted it anyway due to the space it takes. I have 3 phase power in my shop, so should be easy to get that bit going at least.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_7905.jpg
    IMG_7905.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 133
  • fp2-8.jpg
    fp2-8.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 126
  • fp2-3.jpg
    fp2-3.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 133
  • fp2-2.jpg
    fp2-2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 159
  • fp2-1.jpg
    fp2-1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 138
Welcome, and congratulations on the nice machine! My Deckel is FP2 #4224 and is from 1964, so I think your machine must be from 63 or 64 and very similar.

Please edit your post to embed the pictures themselves, because the thumbnails are too small to see anything. You have a big group of Deckel owners here, so letting them look at the photos will give you lots of feedback about details that you might not notice!

Here's a couple of embedded photos as an illustration. If you do "reply with quote" you can see the format used to embed them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers,
Bruce

Nice find. Only issue finding a machine disassembled from an estate sale is being sure you got all the bits....Stuff gets lost and put away sometimes separated from the base machine....
Even small detail parts can be an issue to replace or replicate....
Good luck with your reassembly.
Great machines, you will enjoy it to be sure.
Cheers Ross

Hey I almost bought that machine as a spare parts machine, same serial and all. I don't believe it included a vertical head.

Yes it should have a horizontal head, not sure if it has the lead screw for it though. You commented on this one in the for sale thread when I linked the for sale ad earlier on.

Greetings from England .. As folk have said above, welcome to the forum and hope you get pleasure from your newly aquired FP2.

Enjoy your rebuild and you'll find there is a huge wealth of experience here - most of all, all the folk here are SO SO helpful.

Looking forward to seeing your machine progress.

I've recently sold my 1965 Imperal FP2 and purchased a younger Metric FP2 which has been a PITA to put it mildly!

Best wishes

John :cheers:

@ballen, thanks for the hint on photos, see if this works better then. BTW, am I stupid, because I can't find any option to edit my original post?!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hey I almost bought that machine as a spare parts machine, same serial and all. I don't believe it included a vertical head.

Correct, no vertical head. Since I have no panic I'll be looking around for a decent one, hopefully one will pop up. Already found a drill head (that I should be able to use for some light milling work).

Nice find. Only issue finding a machine disassembled from an estate sale is being sure you got all the bits....Stuff gets lost and put away sometimes separated from the base machine....
Even small detail parts can be an issue to replace or replicate....
Good luck with your reassembly.
Great machines, you will enjoy it to be sure.
Cheers Ross

Yes, did spend some hours at the seller looking for bits, did find some, but some are missing for sure. Due to not having any panic getting it up and running, hopefully I can find the missing stuff over time without having to spend a fortune.

Welcome, and congratulations on the nice machine! My Deckel is FP2 #4224 and is from 1964, so I think your machine must be from 63 or 64 and very similar.

Please edit your post to embed the pictures themselves, because the thumbnails are too small to see anything. You have a big group of Deckel owners here, so letting them look at the photos will give you lots of feedback about details that you might not notice!

Here's a couple of embedded photos as an illustration. If you do "reply with quote" you can see the format used to embed them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers,
Bruce

Thanks Bruce, done as you suggested, the post is waiting approval (probably due to me being a new member), so hopefully you shortly can see some good pictures.

McRae+Motorsport+Sweden=?Rallying?

Haha no, old nickname due to my ancestry and "driving style"... Calmed down nowadays. :)

I've actually never worked with rally cars funnily enough, always been track cars. Road courses I believe the American term is. Currently working in Formula E.

I believe I found the lead screw and brackets for it.

The threaded shaft and flange are indeed the Y-axis lead screw. The gray half circle next to it is the back cover and attachment point for the Y-axis bellows. I have NOT seen the right angle bracket that mounts below the back of the horizontal head and to which the lead screw flange attaches. Take a look at the back of the horizontal head underneath, is there a 90-degree bracket with mounting point there for the lead screw? If you're not sure, turn over the horizontal head, take another photo, and post it here.

Sometimes the 90-degree bracket gets bent/damaged in a crash. If you need a "new" one, I think a couple of people here might have spares that they can sell you.

Cheers,
Bruce

PS: latest photo posts look good. Suggest you post some larger better photos of the machine and bits. There are a number of people who have crawled over every square cm of these machines, so they will notice things that you won't see and give you some useful comments.

The threaded shaft and flange are indeed the Y-axis lead screw. The gray half circle next to it is the back cover and attachment point for the Y-axis bellows. I have NOT seen the right angle bracket that mounts below the back of the horizontal head and to which the lead screw flange attaches. Take a look at the back of the horizontal head underneath, is there a 90-degree bracket with mounting point there for the lead screw? If you're not sure, turn over the horizontal head, take another photo, and post it here.

Sometimes the 90-degree bracket gets bent/damaged in a crash. If you need a "new" one, I think a couple of people here might have spares that they can sell you.

Cheers,
Bruce

PS: latest photo posts look good. Suggest you post some larger better photos of the machine and bits. There are a number of people who have crawled over every square cm of these machines, so they will notice things that you won't see and give you some useful comments.

Yes, the right angle bracket is there (still on the horizontal head), just didn't take a photo of it. Number one priority besides cleaning is figuring out why it was disassembled. Not only the horizontal heads been taken off, he's started to do something with the X-axle lead screw, as can be seen in this photo:

attachment.php

Also have this hanging off the control stick:

attachment.php

The things I think I'm missing is 1 or 2 dials for the hand wheels. Think I managed to find the hand wheels, but I need to verify they are the correct ones, I just rounded up the ones with a "deckel-ish" look, the X dial I'm not sure about (didn't want to force it on, the axles needs some cleaning before I can verify dials and wheel fitment).

attachment.php

To get around the posting restrictions (replying directly with pictures seems to be unrestricted) here are some better pictures. Overall view as picked up:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some close ups:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Finally the horizontal head:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back