Deckel FP2, drag in the Y axis slides, low oil in the (upper) speed gearbox
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Deckel FP2, drag in the Y axis slides, low oil in the (upper) speed gearbox

I was drilling some holes yesterday with the FP2, and when I moved the Y axis there was a drag that I normally don't feel. I ignored it for a few minutes, while wondering if the Y gib needed adjusting, but then a little light came on in my head. I checked the oil level in the upper (speed) gearbox. It was low (below the sight glass). I topped it up (somewhere around a half liter) and ran the machine at 2000 rpm for a few minutes to splash oil around (since that also lubricates the Y-axis slideways). Problem fixed.

If the Y axis of your FPx machine is dragging, don't ignore it!

2. Likes thanvg liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting I did not know that the splashing of oil also lubricated the Y-axis slide ways, I thought the oil container in the headstock did that solely via the wicks.

Country
    GREECE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    Interesting I did not know that the splashing of oil also lubricated the Y-axis slide ways, I thought the oil container in the headstock did that solely via the wicks.
    This is the case indeed, but these containers get oil from the gears in there