CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    Working as intended.
    I’ve been trying to figure this out from pics on the threads here, but how is the oil supposed to get to the X slideways? Obviously this was working on my mill, as everything was slick on disassembly, but I still don’t get it.
    I tried pumping both oilers, but aside from some dribbles out the lead nut and some spitting on the sight glass overflow hole, I got nothing.
    Is there wicking in there somewhere or some such?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sigurasg View Post
    I’ve been trying to figure this out from pics on the threads here, but how is the oil supposed to get to the X slideways?
    If you look in the manual, one of the drawings there actually shows how oil is distributed.

Here is another drawing for an FP1, but the basic idea is the same: FP1 Notes on cleaning and disassembly

On your FP2, there are two oil nipples on the door side of the support.

One of these feeds a long transverse passage which in turn lubricates X. When the oil has filled that passage it should appear in the sight glass at the top of the support on the operator side.

The other oil nipple (with the sight glass on the door side) feeds the X axis lead screw and nut. When you pump oil into that nipple it should immediately appear in the sight glass on the door side. That sight glass should have a small hole or slot to let out air. If that hole is missing or blocked then you might have trouble feeding oil in, so check that.

3. Likes sigurasg liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you look in the manual, one of the drawings there actually shows how oil is distributed.
    Ah, thanks, I found the drawing but it's pretty low on detail .

One of these feeds a long transverse passage which in turn lubricates X. When the oil has filled that passage it should appear in the sight glass at the top of the support on the operator side.
    I found this thread which has a picture of the cross-hole that feeds down to the lower part of the slideways - though it appears to cross the bushing covering the feed screw.
    I guess I'll try and blow through the hole on the lower part, see whether it's blocked. Can't be any harm in checking?

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seeing if you can blow air through the passages is not so reliable, because there are "felts" in some passages to slow the flow of oil. These make it appear that the passages are blocked, if you are testing these by blowing air through.

Country
    GREECE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seeing if you can blow air through the passages is not so reliable, because there are "felts" in some passages to slow the flow of oil. These make it appear that the passages are blocked, if you are testing these by blowing air through.
    totally off topic....
    I know of 'a guy' who did something similar , checked the oil passages on a HLV-H with compressed air, they didn't let it pass because there are some valves there, so he thought they were blocked. At least he messed only one up.....just another headache towards getting that machine to run....

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, finally got the mill moved out of the garage into the workshop. Had to get it over a 4" threshold and down a hallway, hence the table needed to come off and all of that. Using a pallet truck, a couple of ramps constructed from the crate it shipped in, a large crowbar and ratchet straps for leverage and safety, we got it done.

Quote Originally Posted by sigurasg View Post
    I guess I'll try and blow through the hole on the lower part, see whether it's blocked. Can't be any harm in checking?
    I've verified that the oil ways are all good, didn't take any blowing to do it either.
    The simple way to do this with the table off is to simply pump oil into the oilers until you see it weeping out everywhere it should.
    The lower part seems to take the oil that's gone across the X-way bushing and I think there might be a bit of a reservoir down there. This was the last to come through, and only after I'd turned the bushing a fair number of turns. Whether that helped or not, oil is getting around this old beauty.

I still need to change the oil on the Z screw. I just took a good look at the screw, and I believe this is way overdue. Hosed it down with WD40 for starters, cleaned it and then gave it a coating of way oil. This have to do until I have the mill off the pallet truck, table on, and placed where it's to live from here on.