Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tudor View Post
    The felt piece goes under the "Y" axis ram (horizontal arbor housing)as a wiper in front of the long drive gear in the base.
    Ah, cool, I suspected as much, but I couldn't find any diagram showing this.

If you remove the two screws holding the plate between the y-axis dovetails in the front...
    Yeah I need to get that plate off. It's been "hooked" on something, so is bowed out (forwards) and the screws are totally cammed out.

Back to oiling for a sec. Do the Y leadscrew & nut get oil from the gearbox somehow? The oiling instructions want the screw tended and oiled (with bearing oil) once a month, but no daily squirt that I can understand.

Also, I saw there's a Zerk fitting on top of the vertical head. I opened it up to see what's up with that, and I had what looks like way oil dripping out of it. Is this standard issue, e.g. to oil the quill etc?

The gears looked pretty dry, so I cleaned them and gave them a bit of that grease I bought from Franz Singer.

I managed to glue up the hanging X-axis bellows and re-fit the X and Z bellows. They're functional, but not really in great shape, alas. Especially the Z bellows, which have a tear in them. I guess I'll go ahead and replace all the bellows soon-like.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Nigel,

The felt piece goes under the "Y" axis ram (horizontal arbor housing)as a wiper in front of the long drive gear in the base. If you remove the two screws holding the plate between the y-axis dovetails in the front you can retract the y axis till the lead screw comes loose and you can slide the ram back to access the felt wiper. There is also a felt piece in the back, but I think they just give you one as only the front gets dirty.
    I remembered the felt strip in the back but not in the front. I don't have any good photos of the front but dug these out. This is my 1964 FP2, number 422.

Here's the back, you can see the felt strip just in front of the narrow gear which drives the Y-axis lead screw nut.

Here is the front as it looks when you push the ram back. See the piece in the middle held on with the two screws? Is that a holder for the felt strip?

Here are zooms of the front area underneath. In the pictures there is no felt strip that I can see, but I wonder if there is a part missing from the photos which is supposed to hold that. Has anyone got a photo showing that front metal strip held on with the two screws? Does that carry the felt strip?

[EDIT]
    I just looked in the manual and there it is. Part 16 is a metal strip, which traps the felt and is held on with the two screws visible in the second photo above. Part 17 is the felt strip itself.

3. Likes sigurasg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is picture of the top (from the back operator side)and you can see the felt strip at the front. Unfortunately I didn't take one from the front when I had it apart.
    deckel-top-web.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deckel-top-web.jpg  

5. Likes sigurasg, ballen liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    Here is the front as it looks when you push the ram back. See the piece in the middle held on with the two screws? Is that a holder for the felt strip?
    Yups that was the one - thanks! I wouldn't be surprised if the felt in there dated back to the sixties - it looked pretty limp. By comparison I had a hard time packing the new piece into place.

The plate I was talking about, however, was the one on the front of the ram: img_20190812_183355.jpg
    See how it's bent as if it was hooked on something. I couldn't figure out the size of those screws, no key I had would fit. Turns out that the face of those screws was dished in, and I could tap a 4mm hex key into them, get them loose that way. Got it off and beat it flat, now I need to find new screws, as the old ones are going in the bin.

I changed the felt - but it was not pretty in there! Chips packed everywhere, so that's where the chips I found in the oil came from I'm sure. The V-slot up front is presumably for returning splashed oil back to the spindle gearbox, it was pretty well littered with chips too.
    I'll need to line up some help and get the ram off at some point. I fear I may have put the machine down too close to a wall, and the gib won't come out without moving it - alas.

7. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The conduits were missing on my mill. The threads on the main conduit into the junction box on the back of the mill are PG-29. I got a PG29 to 1.25" npt adaptor and used 1.25" liquid tight conduit with 1.25" fittings. On the electrical box side I used an 1.25" npt to liquid tight elbow as the Deckel elbow was missing. The fittings to and from the motor are PG16 threads which I got an adaptor to convert it to 1/2"npt. You can probably find an electrical supplier online to buy the stuff from.
    I found a local electrical supplier that's the bees knees just 15 minutes up the road. Ended up with 1 1/4 armoured conduit and fittings. As I'm replacing the electrical box, I'm just terminating that end with a suitable elbow fitting. The mill end is a bit of a mess, however.
    Looks like there's an adapter from 37/1.5mm threads to whatever (larger) metric thread the old conduit termination needed.

I guess I'm going to be turning a suitable adapter with 37/1.5mm threads on one side and ~1 1/16"-16 on the other. Thankfully my lathe will cut both metric and imperial threads, though it remains to be seen whether I do .
    Looks like there's a taper on the ID of the imperial end to terminate the conduit too. The original adapter is brass, but the only suitable stock I have is 304 or 316 - I don't suppose there's any issue with stainless for this sort of application?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The threads on the main conduit into the junction box on the back of the mill are PG-29
    Quote Originally Posted by sigurasg View Post
    Looks like there's an adapter from 37/1.5mm threads to whatever (larger) metric thread the old conduit termination needed.
    Hold on - PG-29 is the thread I need. It's a 37mm OD, 16TPI, 80 degree thread angle. The other end is PG-42, 54mm, 16TPI.
    OMG, what an abomination, metric ID with TPI threads! While I'll have to grind a custom threading tool, I guess I won't need to mess with the transposing gears at least .