What's new
What's new

Deckel FP2, need help

group 5

Aluminum
I have an FP2 similar to the one Don has on ebay. The Z axis power feed rod is slipping. Seems like a broken shear pin. Not really anxious to take the front of the machine apart. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rich

On an FP1 the shear pin is behind a door on the right (as operator looks at machine) below the speed select levers - you don't have to dissassemble anything to get at it. (It's awkward to remove and replace though.) Is Z the only powerfeed that isn't working? At least my old fp1 only has 1 shear pin for both power X and power Z.

I have an FP2 similar to the one Don has on ebay. Seems like a broken shear pin.

On my 1964 FP2, the shear pin is accessible through the door, opposite the operator side. It's in a shaft that pokes into the bottom of that compartment. If everything is intact, there is a spring steel retaining clip which holds the pin in place. That spring steel clip is retained by a rivet. You pull that aside to remove the broken off shear-pin head. Then rotate the feed wheel on the back of the machine until you can use a small diameter rod (punch, for example) to push the remainder out. The hole goes all the way through the inner and outer shafts.

The new shear pin should be made from free-cutting steel.

For some reason this area is often a bit messed up. When I got my machine the spring steel clip was missing and a nail had been put through the holes and bent over on both sides.

Here's what the original parts look like, as a guide to turning your own. If you look closely you can see lots of shear pins, one spring-steel retaining clip, and one rivet.

147084-img-4397.jpg

147083-img-4398.jpg

If you want more info and photos, use the "search" function with "Deckel FP2 shear pin".

thanks for the responses. My machine is a model year 1979 and does not seem to have the doors you guys refer to. The X and Y feeds work. I have a feeling the slipping gear is at the top of the "Z" feed rod. I'll remove the bellows and try to see it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Thanks again.

All FP2's have doors......
Believe on yours look to the non operators side of the machine.
Should be a round knob on the side panel toward the "X" slide about mid height. Unscrew that knob and the panel will open up hinged toward the rear.
Inside you will see the coolant pump, driven by a chain that chain runs up into a well cast in the side of the main casting.
In that well is a shaft running front to rear...that is where your shear pin lives....

Cheers Ross

thanks everyone. All the years I've had this machine, I didn't know about the door. Maybe that's a testament to the quality of the machine, or my ignorance.
P.S. Ross, Alfa GTA is my favorite car. A neighbor, John Morton (I sometimes make parts for his planes) used to race against them in Trans Am in a Datsun 510.

Ask John if he remembers Phil Reilly&C0...the shop. He has been here years back.
The 510's only were competitive because they cheated......Only way to make enough power to stay with the Alfa's was to run very radical cam geometry...such that the lobes would die in short order....
Datsun solved this by fitting a huge spray bar to flood oil on the cam , added fins to the pipe and called it an oil cooler which circumvented the rules....

Check the shear pin. Often we see machines that seem fine in "X" and "Y" but won't move the "Z" just because the pin is broken , but dragging and the force needed to move the "Z" is greater than the other axis so
it seems the others are fine...most likely the pin is kaput....

New pins to be made form mild steel. The head goes on the small hole side of the sleeve. The large hole is there to ease removal of broken pins....
Lots of discussion here on shear pins....
Cheers Ross

Hi Peter, just really had no reason to look for the door. The 160 is coming along. A lot of work. I can't devote as much time to it as I would like. Maybe another year to go.

Ask John if he remembers Phil Reilly&C0...the shop. He has been here years back.
The 510's only were competitive because they cheated......Only way to make enough power to stay with the Alfa's was to run very radical cam geometry...such that the lobes would die in short order....
Datsun solved this by fitting a huge spray bar to flood oil on the cam , added fins to the pipe and called it an oil cooler which circumvented the rules....

Check the shear pin. Often we see machines that seem fine in "X" and "Y" but won't move the "Z" just because the pin is broken , but dragging and the force needed to move the "Z" is greater than the other axis so
it seems the others are fine...most likely the pin is kaput....

New pins to be made form mild steel. The head goes on the small hole side of the sleeve. The large hole is there to ease removal of broken pins....
Lots of discussion here on shear pins....
Cheers Ross
thanks Ross, seems the slippage is in the area close to the motor. May be as simple as an adjustment. I don't have a parts list, so I'm not quite sure how the motor drives the feed rod. I suspect it's by a some kind of belt. I've ordered a parts manual. Would enjoy talking cars with you sometime.

I've ordered a parts manual. Would enjoy talking cars with you sometime.

Suggest you cancel your order if possible, as a parts manual is available online as Peter says. FWIW there is probably no parts manual available for your exact machine, just some "similar" parts manuals. But for this basic drive stuff they should be OK.

Suggest you cancel your order if possible, as a parts manual is available online as Peter says. FWIW there is probably no parts manual available for your exact machine, just some "similar" parts manuals. But for this basic drive stuff they should be OK.
thanks, I did some research on line but didn't have much luck. I'm incompetent with computers. I'll accept Peter's help.

Back